leaking rear seal on manual transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bond007taz

Reaction score
2004 Jeep Liberty 3.7L Renegade w/ Manual.

I have removed the transmission and transfer case to replace my clutch and I noticed the seal on the rear of the transmission that connects to the transfer case is leaking.

I am trying to find information on how to remove that seal. it is inset a bit into the rear of the transmission.

Anyone have any experience with this?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never seen this particular seal, are the lip edges exposed? Sometimes you can hit the edge of the seal lip and bend it inward then pop it out.

Ive drilled holes in them and used a course thread dry wall ***** to pop them out.

They make special tools for this too....

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive tried searching in the FSM and it doesnt really mention that seal. It has a very short section showing a special tool to remove and replace the seal, thats it. It seems the FSM caters to the 2wd version...

This is basically how I removed the output seal on my 42RE, except I used a drywall ***** and a pair of vice grips. Not sure you have room for that.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Im wondering if this is the cheap version of that.

bond007taz

Reaction score
Ive tried searching in the FSM and it doesnt really mention that seal. It has a very short section showing a special tool to remove and replace the seal, thats it. It seems the FSM caters to the 2wd version...

This is basically how I removed the output seal on my 42RE, except I used a drywall ***** and a pair of vice grips. Not sure you have room for that.
I was able to remove it with a *****, a slide hammer and slide hammer ***** adapter.

Also, here is the seal I was dealing with:
Output Oil Seal Compatible with Wrangler TJ Cherokee XJ 4WD NV-3550 Manual Transmisision

Attachments

• PXL_20210720_225215580.jpg
    PXL_20210720_225215580.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 11