leaking front differential help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xIceHoundx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 Liberty Renegade and have a minor leak from one of the output shafts of the differential, driver side I believe, and am planning to replace both driver and passenger side outer seals and pinion input seal, and am wondering what else I will need to replace while im at it to do this job? Someone I know said id have to pull the hubs off and that would mean id have to replace the ball joints, and possibly the axels? Any wisdom yall can drop on me would be greatly appreciated as im new to the jeep world and vehicles like this, thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't have to replace the lower ball joints nor the hubs unless they are bad
Don't listen to that "someone" since it sounds like they have no clue

xIceHoundx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks I figured as much, just wanted to check in here and find out for sure. I just got in the mail today a pinion slinger, pinion seal, axle seals, and some mopar differential addative, is there anything else anyone advises that I should get or replace while doing this anyways?

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want to do the axle shaft bearings (aka bushings) in the diff. That's probably the reason your seals are gone.

I'm into the same job. Diff and shafts are on my bench awaiting a thorough inspection. Jeep is back on the road - seems a bit bouncier without front drivetrain ;)

808inthe949

Reaction score
Bringing this thread back to life real quick. I have an 05 KJ 3.7 4x4 and I recently serviced the front diff (fluid, outer seals for CV axles) and replaced my CV axles. I have a leak on the passenger side at the outer seals. What bushing/bearing would I need to replace? Might as well get fresh seals again too just to be sure. I order Crown seals from Morris4x4 but I recently heard they keep stock on shelves for ridiculously long. Any tips?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Pics of the seals and bearings are in here

808inthe949

Reaction score
I'm not sure which ones in the post I'm looking for. Sorry but could someone tell me which ones are most likely leaking, or maybe what to look for when inspecting the open diff for leaks? I could just open it and then look for the seal in the picture that matches the one on the passenger side of my diff... Just don't want the Bert clogging my garage for that long (got motorcycles to work on)