larger tires and gearing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know some of you are running 31 and 32 inch tires. I was wondering if anyone had noticed a lose in low end and top end power? How noticeable is it compared to stock? How is cruising on the highway? What about taking off from a stop?

I know we can probably all use lower gears off-road but just wondering about how it has effected driveability.

jzpapa

Reaction score
I installed 265/70/16's on my 05 sport, and it took the sport right out of it. But what are you going to do? I offroad with it and need all the tire I can get. I am not sure if it was the width or diameter of the tire. So, yes, you will feel a difference in acceleration, and no it's not that bad. I don't notice a difference anywhere else. At least IMHO.

Bill

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got a pic of the KJ and the 265/70s? I've got a set of Revos in that size weighting for my lift to be installed and I would love to see picts of it installed already

Nomad

Reaction score
265/75/16 here Lost a ton of power. And quite a bit of gas milage.. We now get about 14mpg... OH well

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nomad said:
265/75/16 here Lost a ton of power. And quite a bit of gas milage.. We now get about 14mpg... OH well

Thanks for the comments. Is the 14mpg in the city or highway and is that adjusted for your larger tires too, since going from 29" to 32" that is about a 10% difference in recorded miles.

How much is a ton of power? A few people I have talked to said it was noticeable, but not bad and they where running 32" tires also. Guess it is really a matter of opinion. I'm just trying to get a feel if I should honestly look at spending the dollars to regear to 4.10 if I go up to 31" tires.

Nomad

Reaction score
i still drive normal. I think thats the reason that we get the gas milage. I just need to be a bit heavier on the pedal to have it perform like it used to.

That is only city driving stop and go. Havent done alot of freeway driving yet.

I want the gears eventually. But there are other things that we will do first some more armor and a new front bumper as soon as there is one i like..all J has one i like coming out I hope

jzpapa

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

with the Daystar lift and new tires, it just looks like it should have come from Jeep this way.

Bill

KY Liberty

Reaction score
Going to 4.10 gears will definately help. I'm only running 245/70R16 Michelin Cross Terrains, but they gave me some better low end. I lost about 3 mpg at 65-70 mph though. No one makes aftermarket 4.10's for the front of the Libby, so it will probably cost you around $1500 to get the rear done, and to replace the front diff with one from a 4 cyl.

http://65.42.106.152/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24441&stc=1

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I finally got my 265/70 Revos and Rusty's kit on the jeep. Other than feeling a bit dogged at 53-55mph (below a bit or above seems a whole lot better) as it seems the trans doent want to shift or something I havent seen a real change. It'll still do 80 on the highway, but it is noticable in that its not as effortless to cruise at those speeds.

KY Liberty

Reaction score
How does that tire and wheel combo fit with the Rusty's lift?

Gears would probably help some. It sounds like you might have to give the transmission a little attention too. Upgrading the torque converter on the 45RFE transmission makes a big difference.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KY Liberty said:
How does that tire and wheel combo fit with the Rusty's lift?

Gears would probably help some. It sounds like you might have to give the transmission a little attention too. Upgrading the torque converter on the 45RFE transmission makes a big difference.

linkage? I've heard people talk about a converter upgrade, but can't seem to find much about it.

Maybe i'm just ******** at teh intarw3b! 8-[

KY Liberty

Reaction score
Torque Converter

APS Precision will custom build one for you. You can tell them exactly what you want. They did a great job on mine. They raised the stall, and torque multiplication on mine. The carbon fiber clutch is nice. I'm waiting to see how much difference the custom PCM makes, before I decide if I want to go with a shift kit. I can't wait to see how it will launch with no torque management and the limited slip in the rear. May have to try a full time 4X4 launch. Always fun to do a 3 or 4 tire burn out.

http://www.apsprecision.com/