Lag upon acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lostintheforest

Reaction score
2011 Liberty with 210,000 miles- I've had my Liberty about 10,000 miles now and have always noticed that there's a lag between the time I press on the gas pedal and the time I'm actually moving forward. I've never experienced this in any other vehicle and wondering if I should have my transmission looked at, or if this is an inherent issue with these transmissions? The fluid level is correct if I use the oil dipstick.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
To clarify, you press the accelerator, engine revs, transmission hesitates… then kicks in… Or… you press the accelerator, engine doesn’t rev for half a second, then it does and you’re off?

Lostintheforest

Reaction score
To clarify, you press the accelerator, engine revs, transmission hesitates… then kicks in…
This. The engine revs a little before the transmission engages; or at least until there's forward movement. After several weeks I've determined it's only on hills and not on level pavement. Typically this would indicate low transmission fluid but it seems that it's at or near the correct level based on using the oil dipstick. What are some other reasons this would occur?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Many CRDs came with a too-long dipstick which gives a false reading and holds the finger-loop/cap up above the dipstick tube because it's hitting the bottom of the pan. Mine is like that with the selec-track (full time 4wd) transmission.

Add a quart of atf4 and try the same hill.

Latest posts

Members online