Knocking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been hearing a knocking noise that I think is coming from the front end. I only hear it first thing in the morning after I leave my driveway, I turn into a side street about 20 metres after my driveway and when braking is when I hear this sound kind of like something banging. There is also a noise on full right lock when turning around that like something wound up and then letting go . I can't find anything loose in the front universals are less that a year old as are UBJ's and LBJ's. Any suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you're going 5 or 10mph and slam on the brakes does it do it? Is it repeated or just happen once? If it just does it once as you stop hard, I'd say lower control arm bushings.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only time I ever hear it is that one time every morning even later in the day under hard braking I don't hear it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had a UBJ act like that once. I'd back out of the drive way or a parking spot and about 10-20 feet later I'd hear a pop. Did that for maybe 6-9months before the ball joint showed play.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Also good idea to inspect the front sway bar end links & bushings.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ordered all the front end bushes will see if that fixes the problem.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just before my last wheel alignment I replaced the rack bushes I clearly remember tightening them up I can only assume the alignment guys loosened them for some reason right side was from left side quite loose I could turn by hand the knocking is gone now and I have some nice new bushes installed.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So just before my last wheel alignment I replaced the rack bushes I clearly remember tightening them up I can only assume the alignment guys loosened them for some reason right side was from left side quite loose I could turn by hand the knocking is gone now and I have some nice new bushes installed.

No reason for any alignment person to loosen them

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pinion rack bushings??? Have a knock on full lock turning and maybe it could be this. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk