KK test drive and first impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey-- I got to test drive a new KK yesterday while heave the dealer work on my brakes and I thought some of you might be interested. I should say that while I currently own 2 KJ's I am an XJ guy at heart and while I think the KJ is a solid vehicle, I have never really fallen in love with it and have been looking forward to the KK.

Appearance--

Good--The model they had was a black Sport with a dark gray interior, black wall tires, and dark gray rims. I liked the look A LOT. Much more aggressive look than the KJ (to me anyway). To an XJ lover, it looked more like an offspring of the Cherokee. While they have grown on me, I am still not crazy about the KJ's lines.

The gray alloy sport rims were especially nice and 1000x nicer then the stock steel KJ Sport rims (mine rusted in 1 year!) It will look sweet with some real tres on it. Stock were 225/75r16.

Didn't like the Limited I saw with lots of chrome on it as much.

Bad--They had a black Nitro, balck KK, and black Commander all parked next to each other. They look WAY TOO MUCH ALIKE. Come on Jeep-- how about some creativity? The salesman actually walked up to the Nitro and I had to correct him. The front fascia is just plain ugly, especially the headlights. I think round headlights and a fascia more like the JK would have looked old school. The KK's front looks like its trying to hard to be macho.

I like the rear lift gate with separate lifting glass a lot. I think the KJ tailgate is awkward.

I miss the rear mounted spare, but will take the trade for the lift gate. The spare was tucked nicely beneath the rear end and didn't seem to compromise the ground clearance or departure angle at all.

Interior-- Seemed pretty similar to the KJ. Not as much head room, but still plenty. Maybe a litle wider? Seemed to be more room in the cargo area and less in the rear seat, but that is based on a quick look.

The 115v outlet on back of the center console is cool.

The auto transmission shifter is funny looking and awkward to shift.

The transfer case switch is lame looking.

The rest of the interior is no-nonsense and seems rugged.

Drive-- I was very impressed with test drive. It was quiter (less wind and engine noise), accelerated smoother, and seemed quicker then either of my KJ's. The transmission seemed to shift crisper (I think both of my KJ's shift sloppily). I was very happy with the way it acceleerated onto the highway. Felt powerful and smooth.

I think the new rear suspension is a big improvement. It drove much smoother and less jittery in the rear over broken pavement that I had just bounced over in my KJ on the way in.

The front suspension seems to have slightly more ground clearance, but I didn't measure. It also had less body roll while cornering.

In general, I was impressed. Died in the wool KJ lovers will probably hate it because it is very different, but I think Jeep has a winner.

Can't wait to see the retractable top and what it looks like with some larger all terrain tires.

I was also impressed with the price tag. A nice outfitted Sport was a hair over 24k, almost exactly the sticker price for my 05 KJ two years ago before rebates.

One more thing--Please bring on the diesel!

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice Review. I will have to go check it out for my self!

Thanks,
Bennett

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
How fast can you go with these test drives? I mean if I go to dealer and ask for a test drive, what do I expect? Will they let me take corners like I do with my jeep? How about flooring and sudden stops.. How about riding over bumps and potholes.. Or will they ask me to drive it slow, baby like and for like 1-2 miles only? Like that idiot dealer did when I took KJ for a test drive a few weeks before I bought mine!

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
test drive

I know the dealer because I've bought a few Jeeps there and he values my input on new Jeeps since he knows I waste my time on forums like this. It a small dealer in a small town. He actually let me flog it pretty good, especially flooring it on an on ramp, passing at 75 or 80, hard braking, and turning tight circles in an empty lot.

Then we went to the mud bog out back and then climbed a loose rock trail up the side of a mountain.........I wish!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, where is that dealer? :)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
How fast can you go with these test drives? I mean if I go to dealer and ask for a test drive, what do I expect? Will they let me take corners like I do with my jeep? How about flooring and sudden stops.. How about riding over bumps and potholes.. Or will they ask me to drive it slow, baby like and for like 1-2 miles only? Like that idiot dealer did when I took KJ for a test drive a few weeks before I bought mine!

Most dealers here just take a copy of your driver's license, give you keys and let you do whatever you want with it. SOME of them give you a route to take but I never listen to them. Last year I went home then came back, lol.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I test drove a KJ before I bought mine about 25 miles or so. Up the interstate. Floored it to 85 then backed off. No traffic and I had 3 lanes to myself. Tried full-time out on a back road at around 45-50 mph. It was smooth. Took it on a dirt road and tried out 4 hi and low. I didn't abuse it, but just gave it a good run. Then I did it again with the one I was going to buy.

Kayadog......Really nice write-up on the KK.

Dave

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to lock out that 115v outlet? I was just thinking about the potential for a kid to accidentally plug their fingers into it during a road trip.

As for the new Liberty in general, I am pretty neutral about it. I don't hate it, but I would not buy one.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most dealers here just take a copy of your driver's license, give you keys and let you do whatever you want with it. SOME of them give you a route to take but I never listen to them. Last year I went home then came back, lol.

What!? NO WAY. Easiest car theft ever. Steal someone's license who looks like you and go test drivin... no way, in NY they come with you. I don't think anyone will give the keys..

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
When I first drove the KJ I put it to the test. Lets just say it came back a little muddy. hehe

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
What!? NO WAY. Easiest car theft ever. Steal someone's license who looks like you and go test drivin... no way, in NY they come with you. I don't think anyone will give the keys..

Yup. I've done it more times than I can count.

Of course now I don't need to take new cars on test drives. :) I just wait for them to show up at work, LOL.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

In the "other NY" (Upstate) where I am they just photo copy your license and give you the keys. It's a different world up here I guess.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am gonna try this this weekend! I assume in Long Island it will be like that too. If that's the case, I am gonna do a video review for you guys! :D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am gonna try this this weekend! I assume in Long Island it will be like that too. If that's the case, I am gonna do a video review for you guys! :D

(popcorn) hehe :D

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trusty eh. Down here they take a copy of your license and give you a permit and let you take it for 24 hours. Beat that! lol

2003KJ

Reaction score
The dealership I bought my KJ from has been around in that particular part of town since...well....before the town...lol....and the road that it's on shows it. Nothing but bumps, pot holes (and its smack in the middle of down town). When I got in the KJ to take it for a spin, the salesman came with me, and told me "punch it, and feel the acceleration!" So punch it I did, and off we went. Needless to say I hit every bump, burned about 4x as more gas as necessary, and did the worlds quickest break-in period on brakes :D

Didn't buy that particular KJ though, didn't have the goodies that I wanted.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
trusty eh. Down here they take a copy of your license and give you a permit and let you take it for 24 hours. Beat that! lol

The Chev Dealer down the street did that to my GF when she was looking at an Impala. Wanted her to take it overnite. She didn't want to but took it for a very long test drive all over the place. The Jeep Dealer didn't offer to do that with me when I was looking at Jeeps.

Dave

2003KJ

Reaction score
The Chev Dealer down the street did that to my GF when she was looking at an Impala. Wanted her to take it overnite. She didn't want to but took it for a very long test drive all over the place. The Jeep Dealer didn't offer to do that with me when I was looking at Jeeps.

Dave

Now that I think about it, the salesman did tell me to take it home for the night and see how it fit in the garage, as well as drive it and get a good feel. I declined taking it home (as I didn't own it), but did take it for a nice long drive