KK Steering Wheel Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lilngineer

Reaction score
Hi,

I am wondering if you can help me out.

I have a 2008KK Sport North Edition. It has the cluster with the EVIC. However, there are no controls for the EVIC on the steering wheel.

I ordered a used wheel that has the EVIC controls as well as the steering wheel controls.

I found out that the clocksprings were the same between the donor vehicle and my liberty. However, when I installed the wheel, none of the controls worked (audio or EVIC). I have also noticed that my horn does not work with either steering wheel installed. My clockspring was damaged during the wheel removal so it has been replaced with a NEW one. But still no horn.

I have checked the horn fuses and they are ok. As well, the horn works when using the keyless entry lock function.

Do you think the horn problem could be related to why the wheel swap didn't work?

Is something else different between a limited and sport to obtain the steering wheel controls?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Jason

Lilngineer

Reaction score
My cluster has a compass and temp display as part of the north package. I am thinking it is actually an evic cluster just no control to save cost.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
No, it's still not an EVIC. It's just exactly what you mentioned.... a compass and temperature display.

THIS is an EVIC:
You must be registered for see images attach

It has programmable features, a more "pixely" screen, shows you the status of your radio, etc...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Pics? This is beyond confusing now. From my understanding, the North Edition was Canadian only, and did NOT come with an EVIC.

Lilngineer

Reaction score
Unfortunately not. Posting from phone.

However, it is identical.

Also tells me when door is open etc.

I just replaced the left multifunction switch because it's supposed to contain the SCM. Still no horn with factory wheel/switch.

I'm stumped

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yup, you've got an EVIC. But no controls. What the heck is that? Maybe the instrument clusters were out of sequence at the factory (This occasionally DOES happen)? Can you find another North Edition to see what's going on?
EDIT:

WHOA!!! I FOUND SOME MYSELF!!!

They all have an EVIC with no Steering Wheel Controls!!!

No clue what the heck is going on here!!!

Last edited:

Lilngineer

Reaction score
BTW it is a Canadian vehicle.

Just a thought, but could the cluster have been swapped by the used car dealer to roll back miles?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
BTW it is a Canadian vehicle.

Just a thought, but could the cluster have been swapped by the used car dealer to roll back miles?
I'm aware that it's a Canadian vehicle... The North Edition was only offered in Canada.
Is the cluster still reading in KPH/Kilometers or did they swap it over to MPH/Miles? If so they DID swap it, but it's still illegal to roll the odometer back. The conversion is done and the odometer is flashed with the correct distance. The cluster swap is done when the vehicle is imported into the US.

Either way, the North Editions I'm looking at all have EVICs with no steering wheel controls!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
BTW: There's no hope because in order for the steering wheel controls to work, the computer has to be programmed to accept the inputs, and since it was not originally equipped that way, there is no way for this to happen. :(

Lilngineer

Reaction score
You are correct. It must have been swapped when imported. The P/N on my cluster is 5172024AK. It reads in MPH. The miles are probably correct then.

However, I still do not understand why the horn doesn't work! Any idea on this?

I think if I can figure it out, I may know why the wheel swap didn't either.

Lilngineer

Reaction score
FYI-

Got it working. There was no communication line on the LIN bus from the wheel to the cluster. Also no pwr/gnd to the switches. All of this was on the C2 SCM connector. Tapped in all three at the power outlet and hazard switch.

That immediately got the EVIC and horn functional. For the audio controls, had the have the vehicle programmed with the RDZ option code.

Now everything works!

SMETNA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the 2011 wheel. Leather-wrapped. VERY substantial feeling. Looks rugged and old school, but still has controls and buttons and airbag. Love it. I'll give a long-term update on request as to how the stitching is holding up, but I expect no issues.

My only concern with it is that you really have to push in like 2 inches for the horn to sound. None of this "Bip Bip" tapping when someone in front of you doesn't realize there's a green light or something. You have to PUSH IT. You better get used to beeping long and angrily because that's the only option.

Mari

Reaction score
Hi...

Sorry for bumping up a very old thread. I am in the same situation as the OP, have a Canadian 2008 Jeep Liberty with EVIC and no steering wheel controls (which I would like to add) and my horn is not working (it is working when using the remote to close and open the doors).

Lilngineer posted this solution for the problem:
Got it working. There was no communication line on the LIN bus from the wheel to the cluster. Also no pwr/gnd to the switches. All of this was on the C2 SCM connector. Tapped in all three at the power outlet and hazard switch.

Can someone here point me in the right direction as how to proceed on this? Maybe a simple instruction?

Thank you.

para_seb

Reaction score
hi Mari, I have a 2009 North edition and I live in canada. Can you tell me how i can check if it has the EVIC or not even though i don't have the steering wheel controls.

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online