KK Liberty Big Brake Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rotary_powered

Reaction score
I've found a big brake kit that works for the Liberty, and I wanted to share my findings and part numbers with you all. It uses Dual Piston calipers from a Ram 1500, specialty brackets from a JK Wrangler Big Brake Kit, and rotors from the BR6 heavy duty brake option for export KK Liberties. I believe that the minimum wheel size for this setup is a 17", and some stock wheels may have clearance issues.

An easy and best value source for the calipers, brackets, and pads is by ordering the Crown RT31046 big brake kit for a JK Wrangler. The JK specific rotors that come with the kit are not used, but the price is still cheaper than purchasing components separately. The rotors that are needed are the 332mm rotors for the BR6 Liberty, I ordered Bendix PRT5917 off of RockAuto.

The swap is almost completely bolt on, with only minor trimming of the dust shield required, and the improvement in braking performance is phenomenal.

I run 305/70/17 tires, and with the stock brakes I could not chirp tires, and was hitting 60-0 stopping distance close to 200'
After installing the big brake setup, my tires now chirp and squeal under heavy braking, and I got 60-0 stopping distances around 150'. I think that swapping in more aggressive pads for a Ram 1500 could lower this distance even further.

Some photos are available here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nTZrcRZiJ9Vh7QmM9

Here are some part numbers for the big brake kit:
Caliper Left: 68157611AA
Caliper Right: 68157610AA
Caliper Bracket x2: 68034720AA
Caliper Bracket Bolt (Different than Liberty Bolt): 6804867AA
Brake Rotor : Bendix PRT5917 / Any 332MM rotor for Liberty
Brake Pads: 5143350AC / Multitude of aftermarket pads for Ram 1500

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Upgraded master cylinder as well ?
cut a lot it looks like to fit those tires :(

rotary_powered

Reaction score
Upgraded master cylinder as well ?
cut a lot it looks like to fit those tires :(

Not yet, There is a larger master cylinder available from the J8, but I've also seen reports that the Liberty/Nitro master cylinder has a larger bore than the JKs.

There was a bit of cutting to fit these tires, the pinch weld is a massive pain on these Liberties

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The pinch weld is NOT a pain if done right and you do not cut the pinch weld unless you want issues
shame

what did you regear to ?

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do we always have to go
Off topic to point out faults? This seems to be a common theme and most new posters don’t return or want to contribute due to the bitter replies. This one doesn’t seem as bad as most but cmon already lol

anyways. Great write up.
I for one , have been doing similar swaps in the GM scene using dual piston caliper upgrades from the corvette line. Most cases the brackets are interchangeable with only using a sleeve on the bolt or larger bolts for knuckle.

I never made it far enough with the jeep to need bigger brakes but it’s nice to see being done.

Edit. I’m running the brand same tires just a different size - 265/75 and yea the braking did change. Feels like I’m stopping a train sometimes

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL
not off topic at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just asked a question since KKs can go lower in gears

rotary_powered

Reaction score
I regeared to 4.88 for these tires, gives it decent performance off the line and reasonable rpm on the highway for these tires

Drag Line

Reaction score
Hi Rotary_Powered,

This is a good write up.

I want to do the BBK because I tow about 4,500lbs about 2x/month with my '11 KK. Most of the time it's all good but occasionally I need, or would like to have, the additional stopping power.

I have seen similar writeups where they changed out the rear calipers/rotors to the CRD export (BR-6?) model because the rear rotors are also larger in diameter and vented. That involves a new caliper to go over the thicker, vented rotor.
Were you able to do the rear brakes as well? I didn't see any part numbers or photos for them. I did look into the photo bucket photos you listed.

I've been told that FCA/Stellantis won't sell the larger rear brake kits in the U.S. unless you have a VIN # for a KK export model but some Dealerships have figured out that a $ is a $, you just have to find those dealerships.

I have also read on forums that they are using the original KK & Wrangler master cylinder & they would update the post if they find they needed a larger capacity MC like from a 1500 RAM. They are saying the OEM MC for both KK & Wrangler provides enough hydraulic pressure for the larger capacity 2 piston front & larger single piston rear calipers.
Currently no updates or they haven't gotten around to it yet.

Latest posts

Members online