KJ owner needing peace of mind

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JBHARDWARE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited, I have fallen in love with this Jeep, it has 123,000 mile on her. I am sinking $1,700 into her for; Paint, Body, Lift and Tires. Is it worth it? Getting worried and I will explain why.

This was my peace of mind. A 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 3.9 V6 auto 2wd. This truck is abused to its limits.
-125,000 hard miles
-9800 miles on oilchange-black and a quart low
-pulls 6 cars,trucks,SUVs on a trailer (2 at a time) 40 miles every week
-****** has slipped for over 2 years now
-Has been driven hard and literally beat with everything (baseball bats, golf clubs, sticks, ect.)
-Cracked manifold, taped on battery post and rag for airfilter
after all this she still runs and could be fixed cheap, but I could care less if it caught on fire and burned down as I have no money in the truck, but it is reliable.

You must be registered for see images

after all the abuse to the Ram I was certain that the Liberty which gets taken good care of ( oil changes every 3000 and fluid checks and changes) would last for ever.

My concern is I am seeing alot of post and topics like: Blown Engine, Dropped Valves, Busted Transfer case and the list goes on.

Am I being paranoid? Can't afford the 1700 for lift and body and then spend another 3000 on engine..... I need peace of mind.....inspiration.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. You don't hear as much about the people with no issues.

Katmandu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't hear as much about the people with no issues.
I've own my 05 Liberty since day 1 and have literally had zero maintainence issues with it period. Extremely reliable vehicle!

It only has 49k miles on it though. Only real issue with it is shittty handling and uncomfortable seats.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had some issues with mine, but I admit that most of them were driver-induced at one point or another. :p

I'll continue to fix it and keep going.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
211,000+ miles,first 130,000 were put on be a meter reading company in south-eastern KY. Looked like zero maint. was done. Check out some of my pics in varies posts on here and other places. Knock on wood,I drive her ever day.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have two Libertys 02 86,000mi and 07 42,000mi with no major issues. Oil changes every 3mo. or 3,000mi. I try not to worry about what might happen. But I to think about the same things when I see a Liberty on E-Bay or Craigs list with "engine problems" or "mechanics special". Most of the time these Libertys have high miles or they look like they have not been taken care of and have been driven hard. I also love the Liberty and every time I see one for sale, I stop to look. Most of them have over 100,000mi some with over 150,000mi and they still run good.

iMTB

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I got mud in the transmission...all I needed was to replace the valve body.
I overheated it about 25 times before I figured out that it was because the radiator was full of mud...no problems.
I didn't change the oil for 7-8k miles, and when I did it looked fine.
Never had a problem with anything I didn't break except the window regulators.

That begin said, I am rarely ******* the skinny pedal. I have done donuts once, and that was in the sand. I don't let me tires skip around climbing things if I dont have to.

dmblair78

Reaction score
Don't be worried at all about buying it. Like Hoosier says, you don't hear much about the people who don't have many issues on theirs. Wouldn't have a need for these forums if they all ran perfect. I'm in the exact same boat as Katmandu, however I have 150,000 miles. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned and probably will be....ever. It's an '05 3.7L btw. It's something you have to use your own judgement on though, Every, and I mean every vehicle is different. You could take two exact same cars/trucks that came off the assembly line one after another and one could grenade at 50K while the other surpasses 200K with no issues being driven under same conditions. IMHO it's kinda a crapshoot.

JBHARDWARE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
211,000+ miles,first 130,000 were put on be a meter reading company in south-eastern KY. Looked like zero maint. was done. Check out some of my pics in varies posts on here and other places. Knock on wood,I drive her ever day.

SOLD!:happy175:
I have seen your jeep in action. I am at peace! THANK YOU!

Latest posts

Members online