KJ Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's probably plenty of threads like this but..
Just wondering what the best mod people have done to their KJs for aesthetics, performance, or just any customized mods that make it stand out
After lifting mine, I feel like every time I look at it I think of stuff to do to it !

I'd say adding the lightbar on the actual body itself is my best "stand-out" mod, just because I haven't seen it done on a KJ (I know, "everyone has a lightbar")
Obviously the best aesthetics and performance mod for me- THE LIFT
Give me some ideas people !

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lift/wheels/tires ( gears if needed / as well as lockers )
then start on the good stuff like skids/ recovery
All fluids good etc
Most things I do are not cosmetic in nature but building / making the KJ more versatile for doing all I want to do
Good set of driving lights and thats it as far as lights
now on the current LED bandwagon at all

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lift/wheels/tires ( gears if needed / as well as lockers )
then start on the good stuff like skids/ recovery
All fluids good etc
Most things I do are not cosmetic in nature but building / making the KJ more versatile for doing all I want to do
Good set of driving lights and thats it as far as lights
now on the current LED bandwagon at all

What has been your favorite brand/style tire? (Regarding Wear, Miles, Sound, etc)
I've been looking at some A/Ts recently but some of them are UP there
Almost $200+ per tire which is crazy
I like the deep tread type but I don't want something that's real loud
I'm also not going to go cheap on a set either
Whatever I end up buying I want to last and be a great performer all around
A nice set of 5 tires and wheels AND getting them mounted, balanced, etc is going to be another $1,000 at the least probably so I don't want to have any regrets

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What has been your favorite brand/style tire? (Regarding Wear, Miles, Sound, etc)FAVORITE TIRE IN THE LAST 12 YEARS HAS BEEN THE GOODYEAR DURATRAC
I've been looking at some A/Ts recently but some of them are UP there
Almost $200+ per tire which is crazy
HARD TO FIND A GOOD CHEAPER AT TYPE TIRE, THERE ARE SOME OUT THERE I HAVE A LIST OF ONES I WAS LOOKING AT BEFORE
I like the deep tread type but I don't want something that's real loud
I'm also not going to go cheap on a set either
THE DURATRACS ARE NOISY IF YOU DON'T ROTATE THEM EVERY 3-4000 MILES OTHER THAN THAT JUST A NICE LITTLE HUM
Whatever I end up buying I want to last and be a great performer all around
MY DURATRACS WERE INSTALLED AT 129,000 MILES ON MY 04 / 265-75-16s AND I SOLD THE TIRES AND WHEELS AT 221,000 MILES
A nice set of 5 tires and wheels AND getting them mounted, balanced, etc is going to be another $1,000 at the least probably so I don't want to have any regrets
YES TIRES AND WHEELS ARE A MAJOR PURCHASE BUT THE RIGHT ONES CAN MAKE IT WORTH WHILE AND TAKE YOUR RIDE FROM HO-HUM TO WOW
I used to buy and sell a lot of cars ( well enough the State of Ohio came after me 3 different years for not having a dealers license) But first thing to do was a good overall cleaning, good wax job , paint the undecarriage, and then a nice set of wheels and tires . Triple the value with just those things so yes wheels and tires can either make or break how one looks

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my painted undercarriage its a cheap mod that not only prevents rust but real jeepers understand it. Exhaust is something i like and i love the cargo shelf it hides my sub and provides storage on top. As for tires i put on general grabbers two years ago love them affordable and perform great year round. They have gotten a little louder with wear but still not loud.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My side guards changed the way my KJ looks entirely. Not cheap though by any means...

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree wheels and tires aren't cheap but holy cow they make all the difference. Get a 16x7 wheel with 4" of backspacing and the jeep finally looks right.

Even when my lift kit was on but I was still rocking stock wheels, it looked good but it wasn't until I put the wheels on that I was like wow.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man if you think $1000 for wheels and tires is high never go above a 32" tire.

Offroad tires and wheels(35x12.50R15 MT/R K's on 15x8 alloy's X5) ran $1900,tires last maybe 20k.Count in no mount/balance or road hazard since was $35 and not $350 retail.

Street set(315/75R16 Destination MT's on 16x10 alloy's X5) ran $1500 but that is with a 35% discount on tires with the same $35 mount/balance and road hazard instead of $425.

Wheels I'd really like,but can't justify,will run $2500 for the rims and since I'd have to jump to 17" tires add another $1800 for tires(35x12.50x17).

That's just for 35" tires,want to run 42" tires on your Jeep? Your dropping $3000+ just for tires.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man if you think $1000 for wheels and tires is high never go above a 32" tire.

Offroad tires and wheels(35x12.50R15 MT/R K's on 15x8 alloy's X5) ran $1900,tires last maybe 20k.Count in no mount/balance or road hazard since was $35 and not $350 retail.

Street set(315/75R16 Destination MT's on 16x10 alloy's X5) ran $1500 but that is with a 35% discount on tires with the same $35 mount/balance and road hazard instead of $425.

Wheels I'd really like,but can't justify,will run $2500 for the rims and since I'd have to jump to 17" tires add another $1800 for tires(35x12.50x17).

That's just for 35" tires,want to run 42" tires on your Jeep? Your dropping $3000+ just for tires.

Yea I don't plan on ever running anything bigger than 31" tires on this Jeep
For one, to even make those work it'd be way more money and time than it's worth
I plan to stick with a max of 31" for this Jeep and then later down the road when I purchase a nice new JKU I can modify that to my liking
(I don't like any other Jeep model besides the 02-07 Liberty's and newer Wranglers)
When my first big purchase comes around I want to buy something slightly used if not new, and by the time that comes any KJ would just be way too old with too many miles
So I'll wait to get into buying crazy sized tires for when that day comes since you can do anything possible to those for way cheaper than anything for our KJs

*this was all my OPINION and I don't care if you dislike JKs, I've always been a fan of them and have always wanted one. I have respect for our KJ community, obviously, because I have one. So don't think I'm all of the sudden talking down on KJs, it's just my personal preference to one day own what vehicle I want.

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AT tires for sure... so far. Plus clay bar and wax the paint.

Going forward, lift will become the next best/favorite mod. Then perhaps some additional auxiliary lights.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the rock rails and the Warn M8000 winch on mine kind of took it to a new level...the lift said it could go offroading, the rails and the winch say it goes off road. :D

I see lifted Jeeps somewhat frequently in town and most of them just have more aggressive tires, rarely rock rails or a winch or even skid plates, so that kind of tells me that they don't get off road.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AT tires for sure... so far. Plus clay bar and wax the paint.

Going forward, lift will become the next best/favorite mod. Then perhaps some additional auxiliary lights.

Don't hesitate on the lift !
It's beyond worth the money,
Although I'm not sure what people will be able to do about shocks considering you can't get the OME 132Ls or the Ironman
I have the full Bilstein shocks and I'm happy with them

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the rock rails and the Warn M8000 winch on mine kind of took it to a new level...the lift said it could go offroading, the rails and the winch say it goes off road. :D

I see lifted Jeeps somewhat frequently in town and most of them just have more aggressive tires, rarely rock rails or a winch or even skid plates, so that kind of tells me that they don't get off road.

I completely agree
I haven't been off-roading yet but I hope to eventually !
Probably won't get a winch and stuff but would still love to go off-road
I don't see ANY lifted Jeeps around here other than Wranglers
But, I did just pass a lifted Commander earlier, probably had a 3" lift and some 31s
Looked really good, well, for a Commander anyway :gr_grin:
I think almost (ALMOST) any Jeep looks good with a lift and nice beefy tires and I can't wait to get mine

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt mention the lift in my first post because i think it goes without saying. Its just better. Rides better looks better brings some new lights to my rust free undercarriage.

nocTurNalX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To each their own and do what will pleases you. Just get the tips here that will prevent any issues.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.