KJ Capabilities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KOrgan0824

Reaction score
I own a Stock 2002 KJ Limited, and I was wondering about its capabilities. I've driven it through about a foot of snow and it did just fine, but am I able to pull people out of the snow with a hitch receiver? I also have 2 tow hooks in the front, though I know you shouldn't pull someone out in reverse. I'd just like to get the most out of my Jeep, I'm proud of it!

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can do anything if you're intelligent about it, and have the right tools/equipment.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know there's no reason you can't pull someone out in reverse, as long as like said above you're not doing something weird. These things are far more capable than people give them credit for.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think i'm one of the poster children of the "Your Jeep can do that!?!?" crowd. :D

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I know there's no reason you can't pull someone out in reverse, as long as like said above you're not doing something weird. These things are far more capable than people give them credit for.
Harder on gears / transmission to pull someone out while in reverse

No chains, good tow rope without metal hooks etc
get the right gear to tug people
watch MATTSOFFROADRECOVERY FOR EXAMPLEs

SkyJeep

Reaction score
Harder on gears / transmission to pull someone out while in reverse

No chains, good tow rope without metal hooks etc
get the right gear to tug people
watch MATTSOFFROADRECOVERY FOR EXAMPLEs
Matt uses a 12000 lb winch many times. Get a winch with a kinetic rope.

Perspective

Reaction score
I own a Stock 2002 KJ Limited, and I was wondering about its capabilities. I've driven it through about a foot of snow and it did just fine, but am I able to pull people out of the snow with a hitch receiver? I also have 2 tow hooks in the front, though I know you shouldn't pull someone out in reverse. I'd just like to get the most out of my Jeep, I'm proud of it!
I have an '06 and I have used mine to pull my neighbor's Chevy Silverado out the ditch between our yards using tow hitch. I used finesse and had him lightly throttle his truck while I pulled to take the strain off my vehicle. I also pulled an Uber driver out of the other neighbors yard after they got stuck turning around during a rain. This was a small car so I had them stay in neutral while I pulled them out of the mud onto hard surface. Again used finesse. I've also pulled a large tree down while a sawyer cut it to maintain felling direction. I spent years as a wildlife technician and we always used finesse to pull vehicles out. We never did the hard jerks that make such great YouTube videos. I'm at 218k miles and still runs great. Knock on wood.

Latest posts

Members online