KJ 101 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know these have probably been asked before, but the answers are important . They might also help more then just myself.
1.Can you describe how the front transfer case works in 4wd? Do both sides get power? I dont know of any lockers for the front.

2. What is a Clevis Hitch lift.

3. Can I use a 265/75/16 on my stock 05 Renny wheels?
Thanks

I'm at that point where a 2-2.5 in. Lift is in the near future.

I've been offroad 3 times, and I love how the KJ handles, but it does not clear alot of obstacles. #-o

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
jeepmed said:
3. Can I use a 265/75/16 on my stock 05 Renny wheels?
Thanks

not sure if it will fit in the rim, but you will sure get rubbing if you go with that size

245/70/16 gets some minor rubbing (very minor, along the inner edges). I think even if you lift, you will need to trim and pound..

Cant find the tire size chart...but yeah..the size you want will surely rub...

i asked what a clevis lift was before, but i think the thread got bamboozled when the forum's was on auto prune...it's a minor lift, something to do with doing something with the clevis..or something.....someone else will give u a much better answer

uvalax236

Reaction score
For the clevis lift (In lamens terms): There is a u shaped peice that slips into the bottom of the shock on the strut assembly. Basically, when you do a clevis lift, you are just seeting the clevis so it is not flush up on the outer ring on the shock. It will level out the front of the KJ so it does not have the "raking" look.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
uvalax236 said:
For the clevis lift (In lamens terms): There is a u shaped peice that slips into the bottom of the shock on the strut assembly. Basically, when you do a clevis lift, you are just seeting the clevis so it is not flush up on the outer ring on the shock. It will level out the front of the KJ so it does not have the "raking" look.

That would be a very nice thing to do...even stock. I hate the "raking" look.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepmed said:
1.Can you describe how the front transfer case works in 4wd? Do both sides get power? I dont know of any lockers for the front.

I think you are referring to the front DIFFERENTAIL... there is only one transfer case, so calling it the "front" or "rear" is misleading.

From the factory, the front axle has an open differential. There are no factory options for any other type. With this in mind, the front end *can* experience a problem with wheelspin. As with any open differential, the tire that has the least traction can often get all the power and break free (spin).
However the rear axle, from the factory, can either have an open differential or be upgraded with a LSD called "Trac-Lok".
I think ARB makes some lockers... check page 3 of this PDF
www.arbusa.com/alac/215110.pdf (right click "Save Target As...")

jeepmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4Factor said:
jeepmed said:

I think you are referring to the front DIFFERENTAIL... there is only one transfer case, so calling it the "front" or "rear" is misleading.

From the factory, the front axle has an open differential. There are no factory options for any other type. With this in mind, the front end *can* experience a problem with wheelspin. As with any open differential, the tire that has the least traction can often get all the power and break free (spin).
However the rear axle, from the factory, can either have an open differential or be upgraded with a LSD called "Trac-Lok".

Thanks I think I'm clearer. I have the factory trac lok. So far its kept me moving. Thanks for the answers.

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepmed said:
4Factor said:
jeepmed said:

Thanks I think I'm clearer. I have the factory trac lok. So far its kept me moving. Thanks for the answers.

If you are still wondering about exactly how your 4X4 works, there is a nice little video thang on Jeep website. Go to Jeep's website, click on the Liberty, The on the left, click on 4WD Capability, then click on either the "Command-Trac" or the "Selec-Trac" links right under the picture of the awesome Jeep.