Killed my CRD. Worth fixing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2006 Liberty CRD Limited (~294,500 kms)

103km/h (~65mph) on the highway and for whatever reason it jumped back to first gear (auto transmission). Shredded the timing belt, that's a certainty. My question is what else might be wrong (bent valves, transmission, etc) and is it worth fixing when another one is available to me for 7k (Canadian $$). My thoughts are strip my parts (skid plates, 2 month old tires, Weathertech mats, etc) and get the other one. Any thoughts?

For a bit of history on the broken one, I had a coolant leak that I never solved. I did the head gasket, no change, it never leaked onto the ground, just burned coolant on startup. As well, an improperly installed rear diff (previous owner) caused me grief right after I bought it (4 years ago) and I ended up spending a grand fixing that, but it's been fine since. I did the glow plugs and timing belt about 6 months ago (even a new timing belt can't be expected to survive the 65mph catastrophe). I also had this annoying "putt-putt" noise every so often which I thought was the turbo breaking down, but unknown really.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2006 Liberty CRD Limited (~294,500 kms)

103km/h (~65mph) on the highway and for whatever reason it jumped back to first gear (auto transmission). Shredded the timing belt, that's a certainty. My question is what else might be wrong (bent valves, transmission, etc) and is it worth fixing when another one is available to me for 7k (Canadian $$). My thoughts are strip my parts (skid plates, 2 month old tires, Weathertech mats, etc) and get the other one. Any thoughts?

For a bit of history on the broken one, I had a coolant leak that I never solved. I did the head gasket, no change, it never leaked onto the ground, just burned coolant on startup. As well, an improperly installed rear diff (previous owner) caused me grief right after I bought it (4 years ago) and I ended up spending a grand fixing that, but it's been fine since. I did the glow plugs and timing belt about 6 months ago (even a new timing belt can't be expected to survive the 65mph catastrophe). I also had this annoying "putt-putt" noise every so often which I thought was the turbo breaking down, but unknown really.

I would say go for the other engine for $7k..go to the "Jeep CRD Love That Torque" section at LOST JEEPS • Index page

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Pull the glow plugs and see if the tips are broken. While they're out hand turn the engine over a few turns clockwise to see if it will. If it will turn listen for little noises.

I've heard of a seized water pump causing a shredded belt, and engine. Were idler pulleys and tensioner replaced during your timing belt job? Tensioned, timed, tightened properly. Might just be a bunch of broken rockers.

Transmission downshift maybe a computer brain fart due to impossible sensor numbers sent by freaked out engine???

EGR cooler plumbing can be a sneaky water leak.

Sounds like you want to hop in the $7k jeep and keep on going.

LOST is the place for CRDs. Here's nice too.