Key Fob/Power locks and Interior light issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterAutomatic

Reaction score
I figured instead of making two different threads I'd make one describing my issues. Firstly the Liberty is coming along. I honestly have to say this is the only American car company I actually like, and if I decide to get a new car, it would be another Jeep. As far as issues go, none of my interior lights turn on. Now I've read about some fuse 26 under the hood's PDC...there is no 10A fuse that I see, unless the PDC isn't the fuse box juxtaposition to the battery.

My second issue is so weird. The power locks, more mentioned the unlock, only works when the Jeep is powered on. The power locks (unlock, lock rarely works) do not function any other time, which makes me wonder if this is the reason I cannot program a key fob that I have. The only saving grace about the key fob issue is that it is a second hand one that I found at a junk yard that I replaced the batteries in, so maybe it just doesn't work. However I'm skeptical in thinking that one affects the other.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. there's a dial switch that may have accidentally turned to the off position on dash left of the steering wheel. Otherwise check fuses, bulbs, etc

2. I don't have any experience with fobs but I'm pretty sure you'll need to get it reprogrammed to work for your jeep.

MisterAutomatic

Reaction score
1. there's a dial switch that may have accidentally turned to the off position on dash left of the steering wheel. Otherwise check fuses, bulbs, etc

2. I don't have any experience with fobs but I'm pretty sure you'll need to get it reprogrammed to work for your jeep.

Okay I'll check for the dial. As far as the fobs you don't have to go to a Jeep dealership for that. The owner manual tells you how to program the fob. It just doesn't work. Nor does my power locks.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Re interior lights...Always try to refer to your owners manual, it has much of the info re panels & fuse listings.
You can download your owners manual here:
Link: Jeep Owners | Download an Owners Manual 2004 - 2011 | Jeep
In the inside of Jeep just right of drivers door on kick panel is this fuse panel:
52059[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Fuse # 35 15 amp blue covers the interior lights and cluster radio, that being said not always have the positions of these fuses been marked or described always 100 percent with accuracy.
So when it comes to fuses check them all and not by just looking at them..
Get an VOM and check each fuse for continuity. That guarantees if a fuse is good or not.
Fuse # 34 is in the second section down of panel, covered by the white plastic retainer-blue fuse on top.
Power locks is fuse # 6 - 20 Amp yellow, Top section on Left side -row- down 6 fuses
Hope this helps on first interior lights topic..will look at fob next.

Attachments

• Jeep%20Drivers%20side%20Fuse%20Panel%20.jpg
    Jeep%20Drivers%20side%20Fuse%20Panel%20.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Rowlette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fob unlock--- My experience has been the fob battery and/or the vehicle battery are weak.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The only way to check a key fob properly is to find someone that has an RF frequency reader designed for the fob. The dealer can check it so can many after marker audio or car shops that sell aftermarket fobs, or key places that sell chip keys.
Once the fob button is pushed, the rf reader will confirm if a signal is being sent.
If when you are in the jeep and it is running you should be able to unlock it at the power doors switch but not lock it. That protects you from locking your keys in.
If it wont unlock you got other issues that need to be addressed.
Go get your Jeep's starting battery load tested!

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Did someone say STORK?
52062[/ATTACH]"]

I think the dial /dimmer is part of the left hand turn signal stalk...:icon_lol:

Attachments

• Stork.jpg
    Stork.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Did someone say STALK?

(Two can play at this game.) :happy175:

300+Liberty

Reaction score
The only way to check a key fob properly is to find someone that has an RF frequency reader designed for the fob. The dealer can check it so can many after marker audio or car shops that sell aftermarket fobs, or key places that sell chip keys.
Once the fob button is pushed, the rf reader will confirm if a signal is being sent.
If when you are in the jeep and it is running you should be able to unlock it at the power doors switch but not lock it. That protects you from locking your keys in.
If it wont unlock you got other issues that need to be addressed.
Go get your Jeep's starting battery load tested!

Did you ever find the solution to this?
I have the same problem on my 2006 Jeep Liberty. It sat for a while and the alternator failed. With a new battery and alternator, every fuse checked for continuity(the A/C relay fuse was blown) she runs great but still has the same symptoms of:
power locks only unlock while the Jeep is running
the rear latch window won't engage
no interior lights
no stereo cluster

The manual and repair book point to the relay or solenoid as the next culprit seeing that the wiring in the drivers door is intact and showing continuity at all connections.

Thoughts?

Blackrose

Reaction score
Did you ever find the solution to this?
I have the same problem on my 2006 Jeep Liberty. It sat for a while and the alternator failed. With a new battery and alternator, every fuse checked for continuity(the A/C relay fuse was blown) she runs great but still has the same symptoms of:
power locks only unlock while the Jeep is running
the rear latch window won't engage
no interior lights
no stereo cluster

The manual and repair book point to the relay or solenoid as the next culprit seeing that the wiring in the drivers door is intact and showing continuity at all connections.

Thoughts?
I know this reviving yet another old thread, but since you were asking if anyone found a solution, did YOU end up finding a solution?

I’m getting the same issue after what I’m guessing was a short on my aftermarket radio. I was 200km from home and everything on my dash started lighting up. I was about to give up after checking as many connections as I could, unplugging battery, etc when I pressed on the housing of the radio and *click* things started working again. I quickly pulled the radio out and made it home safe. However, now I’m having the power lock issue. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks