Key Fob Batteries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My original 04 KJ key fob is now 17 years old, still working, yet it was time to inspect the batteries!
There are two 3 volt batteries on top of each other. The owner's manual states Panasonic CR 2016 required & use a dime to open the case gently.
These definitely are the original batteries!
You must be registered for see images attach

Removing the first top battery was interesting. Look at the plastic clips first. ^^
You don't want to break them.
What I did is use my thumb, move one of the clips slightly outward, while using the flat blade jewelers screwdriver, to pry the battery upwards.
Wear eye protection, it popped out at a rapid pace!
2nd battery repeat...

^ I used a bit of fine emery cloth to clean terminals. Alcohol used to clean batteries.
Then inspected batteries for leaks, they were fine & took a voltage reading on each battery.
Each battery read 3.27v for a total of 6.54v combined, just like new !!

Installing the batteries back in place was much easier. Move clip slightly outwards & they drop into place.
Expect them to be rotational (not completely tight) which seems to be normal.
Cleaned the rubber seal, then reassembled the split case together. FOb still works perfectly.
These fobs are quality, yet I would have preferred, metal battery clips instead of plastic.
It really is amazing after all these years, that these batteries last so long ! :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I received 2 key fobs for the 04 when I bought it new
Still have one in the plastic bag sealed from the factory
Other still works good as does the 03s
The 05 I have had to replace the batterys in it once already

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
CRDs come with the key and fob as one unit which makes no sense to me. The CRDs need to idle for at least two minutes for the turbo to spin down. A seperate fob would have helped to lock the running Jeep and do a two minute errand but no, the fob is the key. I'm jealous of you footloose and free fobbers.

I changed my key batteries when the big battery went weak and the keyfob would only open the rear glass instead of starting the Jeep.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That's when a spare door key would come in handy. I carry one in my wallet (non chip) just to gain entry, if I lock myself out.

Considering how old my daily fob is, it has stood up well with of course wear on the unlock & lock symbols.
I have the 2nd Fob that has never been used. Took it apart for inspection today, voltage was also at 2x 3.27 =6.54 volts.

All is good.

Latest posts

Members online