Keep or remove AMP on Front Speakers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southernclipper

Reaction score
I purchased a 2007 Liberty Limited, It has the infinity setup. I already swapped the Head Unit with a Pioneer. Now I want to replace the speakers all around. I am trying to decide if to keep the AMP in the front doors or would it make sense to remove them and re-use the factory wiring. I figure I will have to cut and slice the connector on the front speaks to make that work. I do not plan on adding an AMP, if I remove the AMP/s. Any thoughts are suggestion would be welcome.

Thanks in Advance

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...But I've heard the factory amps act as a crossover. Am I wrong?

In other words if you remove the amp you better be replacing with a crossover.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On full range speaker such as a typical 2 or 3 way coaxial, no cross over is needed since the mid and tweeter are on the same speaker. The factory dash tweeter isn't really a tweeter but rather a full range speaker as well. You can keep that by wiring it in with the door speakers. Imo a 2 way component set will be better, even run on hu power. There are some cheaper sets that sound really great. I'm running these with a cadence xah125.2 and they sound awesome http://www.woofersetc.com/p-4596-cl-61a-25-pro-cdt-audio-classic-65-2-way-component-speakers.aspx

If you are running comps off hu power look for a high sensitivity with a decent rms rating in case you want to amp later. I was running these before the cdt's off hu power and they were pretty damn good for the money
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23669_Precision-Power-PPI-S2.65C.html
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For comparison those $50 precision power comps outperformed the alpine type s coaxials they replaced in every way. I have them in the wife's ride now on a kenwood 8404 amp and they are even better.

If you are set on running a coaxial speaker up front, these powerbass dash speakers would work great imo. They are a small coaxial not a tweeter.
http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=321224643939

I installed some in a neighbors commander along with some infinity kappa coaxials. I was definitely impressed with the sound, and they didn't mess up the staging. But personally I'd rather have a budget comp set over a higher end coaxial any day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

brando26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put alpine type r all around. They come with crossovers prewired onto the speaker and sound great. You can search google shopping for them and find em for 99 per set.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

RenegadeRecruit84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I kept them. I'm glad I kept them. The amps power my infinity reference 6.5's amazingly. I just remounted the amps on the doors in a spot that didn't hinder the window or speaker location.