K&n Fipk 2 With Amsoil Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

explr1

Reaction score
I installed a K&N FIPK 2 kit on my 07 KJ in November of 07. Over all the intake did provide better throttle response so I was mostly happy with it. My only concern was with my filter choice. I decided on an Amsoil Ea cone filter instead of using the one provided by K&N because I wanted to get away from messy reoiling when I cleaned it. Over the last few months I noticed the filter wasn't that dirty even after being in for a year/11K miles so I pulled the intake tube and found a very fine powdery dirt build up on the inside of the reducer coupler that connects the tube to the TB. The dirt must have been to small for the filter media to capture it.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow.......Looks like that "filter" does no good.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So did you ever let JJ get you a refund or a replacement? Or do you just want to start crap on this board also? Bet it's the 2nd:D.You do know that mass production you will have bad parts every now and again,you can not bad mouth a great product(proven also) without letting the company make it right,and they are willing to make it right but you are not letting them.You just rather bad mouth the product and a upstanding product seller.Since you are just selling the KJ anyways why do you care at all anyways?

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, it does appear that there might have been a problem w/ that particular filter but we also do not know for 100% that it wasn't an installation problem or damaged filter. I would have gladly exchanged or refunded the $ for it had the owner contacted me about the problem. Instead they came onto LOST JEEPS and complained then threatened that they wanted to "shove the filter up the a$$ of the person they bought it from".

BTW, the OP also had no trouble selling the filter to anyone else w/ the knowledge that there might be a problem w/ it as they advertised it for sale on LOST. I do feel sorry for the person that may have bought a defective filter from this person. If the new owner is reading this, please let me know and I will see if we can exchange it so I can verify the filter condition myself and/or send it to the Amsoil tech department for a check.

Since no filter is 100% efficient at dust stoppage and we don't know if there was a problem w/ That particular filter or the installation of it, we certainly can't say it was the fault of all Amsoil Ea series filters as a whole. Do note that there doesn't appear to be any other dust in that intake tract either and how do we know that the dust shown wasn't left over from when it had a K&N filter on it? The OP only raises more questions that might have been answered if he had handled this situation better and worked w/ me to figure it out. Heck, I would have even gladly bought him another brand of filter to try if we couldn't work it out.

I know of hundreds of Ea series filter owners w/ No other complaints besides this one. I personally own 4 vehicles operating in dusty desert conditons and not one shows any signs of dust infiltration like shown in that pic. One is the exact same application that his was and the others are drop-ins.

If anyone else has problems, PLMK asap so we can resolve the issue.
Thanks, John

explr1

Reaction score
So did you ever let JJ get you a refund or a replacement? Or do you just want to start crap on this board also? Bet it's the 2nd:D.You do know that mass production you will have bad parts every now and again,you can not bad mouth a great product(proven also) without letting the company make it right,and they are willing to make it right but you are not letting them.You just rather bad mouth the product and a upstanding product seller.Since you are just selling the KJ anyways why do you care at all anyways?

I have no idea what your talking about. I'm not starting anything. Did I say who I bought the filter from? NO!!! All I know is I posted about this problem on LOST and was kicked without any explanation what so ever. I posted and 24 hours later I went to log on and I couldn't. I'm only posting about the bad experience I had with the Amsoil, which is the only filter that was even on the intake. For what it's worth I think the build up came from calcium cloride (road salt) which creates dust (very fine) clouds in the winter time in the north east, but the filter should have caught it. There are plenty of people that complain about other products such as Continental Tires, Sensatrac shocks, etc., but I post about a filter and everyone under the sun IM's me with harassing e-mails. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so you installed an aftermarket intake on your Jeep and used the Amsoil filter instead of the K&N because you wanted to ensure better filtering, then noticed the dust on the 'clean' side of the intake and deduced that the filter was at fault. How did you come by this conclusion? Did you clean the intake system and install a different filter to verify that it was indeed the Amsoil filter that was at fault? Did you double-check the install of your aftermarket intake system to ensure there were no leaks downstream from the filter? Did you do ANYTHING to eliminate all other potential sources of dust getting into the intake?

As Troy mentioned mistakes do occur in mass production. If you indeed feel that you received a defective unit then perhaps you should have taken it up with whichever Amsoil distributer you purchased the filter from so that they could verify the defect and give you a replacement unit to see if that would correct the problem, or possibly it would have shown that there was a defect in the K&N system which you could have then taken up with that company. Since you have not posted any information that would imply that you have taken these steps to verify that the filter alone was at fault then maybe you should rethink what you stated in your original post:
Over the last few months I noticed the filter wasn't that dirty even after being in for a year/11K miles so I pulled the intake tube and found a very fine powdery dirt build up on the inside of the reducer coupler that connects the tube to the TB. The dirt must have been to small for the filter media to capture it.

explr1

Reaction score
I spent 12 years in the Navy as an AT, avionics electronics technician, so I know how to install a simple intake system correctly. There was only one way for the dirt to get in, and thats through the filter. The reason why the dirt built up where it did is because the inside of the intake tube is extremely smooth, theres no other place for it to build up. I'm not chancing more dirt getting in the engine so I went back to the stock intake and an OEM paper filter. Why am I getting attitude about this anyway??? This isn't a personal attack on anyone, it's a product review.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent 12 years in the Navy as an AT, avionics electronics technician, so I know how to install a simple intake system correctly. There was only one way for the dirt to get in, and thats through the filter. The reason why the dirt built up where it did is because the inside of the intake tube is extremely smooth, theres no other place for it to build up. I'm not chancing more dirt getting in the engine so I went back to the stock intake and an OEM paper filter. Why am I getting attitude about this anyway??? This isn't a personal attack on anyone, it's a product review.
(rotflmao)(rotflmao)(rotflmao)(rotflmao)(rotflmao)(rotflmao)

Sorry but a electrician does make you qualified to do the simplest automotive modification. Maybe the K&N tube has cracks in it,or the adapter was not tight,or warped that allowed unfiltered air in.There's many possibilities that you seemed like you never checked for,you just assumed the filter was bad,which it may be defective but has not been proven either yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.