Just moved to Philadelphia need help with my KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xander Bolanos

Reaction score
I have been a silent fan of this website for some time now.
When we first purchased our 2005 Liberty Renegade, this was the first online forum I discovered with info on my KJ and its the primary one I use still other than lostjeeps
I have learned a lot from other members posts and helpful tips as result of this forum. I have been able to change my oil, diff fluid, transfer case fluid, spark plugs, and do my own general upkeep saving me $$$$

I also repaired my front end after someone hit and run, me
I replaced the bumper reinforcement, front end, lower control arms, radiator, bumper cover facia, fenders, foglights, and all renegade trim pieces, had to Modify a stock KJ bumper to fit Renegade accessories that was wrongly sent by dealership at least they sent one with tow hook cutouts.

Now 2 weeks ago I replaced my passenger side door, and swapped the exterior trim panel, and transferred my original door wiring, including the speaker, door handle and mirror, after a car thief beat in my window seal track, breaking the window to steal my stereo. Neighbors video taped it happening and called the police. The guy was caught but he's on parole for auto theft, so not expecting my radio back or restituition
Philadelphia has not been good to the KJ, or me and my wife.
We have had our tires slashed 2 times, first time was my Jeep, the next was my wifes new KIA, each time, its been both tires closest to curb. We don't know anyone here, so we haven't pissed anyone off, it happened to several other people in our local area. Just this city or juveniles I guess???
Now my beloved Jeep "Rene" that towed a loaded U-Haul trailer all the way from Sioux City, Iowa in a blizzard is making some scary sounds underneath the hood on the passenger side.
I have been told it could be, valves/lash adjuster sticking, dropped valve, rocker arm fell off, bad wrist pin, possibly even a camshaft?
The problem is, every shop locally can't diagnose what the cause is without opening it up and taking a look.
Not a big deal, except the shop claims its 5 hours of labor by itself, to take off the cover, and put it back on, regardless of parts replacement/repair so they can access and diagnose whats causing the noise.
I know for a fact the cover only takes 30- 45 minutes to remove, including removing the oil fill tube and relocating hoses that are above the cover, disconnecting the reservoir tank and hanging it out of the way. I could open it up myself, but no mechanic is going to come diagnose my Jeep at my home after I have opened it up.
So I am hoping some of the mechanically gifted people here can help me find a local mechanic that is within 2 hours drive of Philadelphia or hopefully a fellow gearhead KJ owner who can help me find out whats wrong with my Jeep. I know I can fix the problem myself. If I only knew what was wrong. The local philly Jeep owners mostly JK guys don't do wrenching parties and no one has been willing to help.

The Jeep thru all of this has never quit working!!!!!!
It has given me 0 performance or operating issues. it hasn't even had a check engine light go off, the only indication something is wrong is the ticking or whirring noise, thats clearly letting me know something is wrong!!!!
It shifts gears and accelerates normally and I have driven it over 2 hours in one direction, without issue, since the noise started as a soft low whirring to the tick it has develeoped into without any incident. The tick is most noticable when I am slowing down or when I accelerate quickly, when I stay at 1500 rpm on the highway or residential streets the KJ sounds normal. If anybody mechanically inclined or an actual ASE mechanic is local to me and willing to help me diagnose the issue and help me fix it. I am not able to pay stealership labor fees but I am happy to pay your hourly wage in cash lol.

The day we signed the paperwork
You must be registered for see images attach

When some ******* hit and run me on black friday when I sat in line to get my mom a flat acreen T.V.

After replacing front end before modding stock bumper for renegade accessories

A few weeks ago a thief broke in my window and also bent my window track. So the door had to be replaced.

My pioneer Blutooth unit.

The space that used to hold my nice pioneer blu tooth media unit
I guess he cut himself ripping out my stereo. He even stole my adapter cables and took my remote for the radio out of my center console
But he left my rosary

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn dude philly sounds worse than chicago. Welcome to the forum. I hope you have some better luck coming your way.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry man i would gladly help but i am a ways away

LiberTodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those thugs should be apphrehended ASAP. Anyway, welcome to the forum

Xander Bolanos

Reaction score
Thanks one can hope for Karma. Still of anybody out there is within 2 hours drive of Philadelphia and you can help. Please post. I drove my Jeep to beach this last weekend. Ran no problems, didn't even get stuck. Just that ticking

Latest posts

Members online