Just installed my 2" wheel spacers :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kylewilley

Reaction score
I'm very happy with the new look. Wanted to shine it up some before the pics but didn't have the time today....... jeeps are meant to have at least a little dirt on them anyway, right ;) ...... I have 265/75 R16 tires on my jeep, if you have the stock fender flares and bumper and the usual 2.5" lift, you definately need to do alot of fender well mods.. but it is very easy with something like a dremel tool with a small cut off wheel. In my pictures, this is before I did my modifications to the fender well but you can't really tell what I trimmed unless you actually look in the fender well anyway. One more note... that is NOT my house in the picture haha.

before + after on front

You must be registered for see images attach

before + after on back

3/4 view

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
looks real good but wouldnt 2" spacers be too much? then again im not sure how they work.

They go between the rim and the rotor hub to push the wheels out farther, for a wider, more stable stance. It lowers the center of gravity so it doesn't have the "roll" potential as it does stock; meaning, you can make turns at a higher speed than normal. Though, 2" might be too much in PA; wheels are not allowed to go out past any portion of the fender, so, people FLAIR them so they pass inspection. These have the "flairs" already on the body, so they can go out some, but not past it, in the ****** state I live in, where anything you add that is NOT OEM is practically illegal..

Yep good ole' ****** Pennsylvania, where the Gas contains at least 10% ethanol, and we pay more than other people, for low quality gas, compared to Ohio. The place where Gangster Rendell resides...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't sacrifice my wheel bearings for a slightly more stability/center of gravity, especially if it is my daily driver. It does look incredibly good compared to stock, but I just don't like the idea of something in between wheel and the vehicle.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't sacrifice my wheel bearings for a slightly more stability/center of gravity, especially if it is my daily driver. It does look incredibly good compared to stock, but I just don't like the idea of something in between wheel and the vehicle.

A good backspaced rim would be better. Mine are 4" BS

kylewilley

Reaction score
I got them from "Rigged up off road" via amazon.com. Basically just look up jeep wheel spacers on the website and its one of the first things that shows up....it shows up wrangler/cherokee on the description but its the same bolt pattern as liberty anyway......$90 a pair so about $200 total with shipping. Very happy with them after driving over 200 miles today. My jeep feels way more stable, it made a bigger difference than I thought it would and of course I think it looks way better. Like I said before, if you are thinking about getting these and if you have 265/75s you are definatley going to need to do some fender well trimming and slightly on the bottom of the flare as well (on the fronts). I received them very fast considering it is on the complete opposite side of the country and I only had standard shipping. Very pleased with the whole thing :D

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool beans, i knew thats where they went but i wasnt sure if 2" was too much, like not enough room on the bolts to get the rim on lol

kylewilley

Reaction score
noo you are getting the wrong image. you have a whole new set of lugs to bolt the wheel on to..

The holes go over your original lugs and it comes with a whole set of lugnuts to go on them.... and then the lugs you see on the spacer are what your wheel bolts on to... so you have the same amount of lug for your wheel to bolt on to :cool:

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it me or does the jeep look like it hasnt moved an inch in the before pics and after pics. the only differences is the shaddow. wierd.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sooo... The more i read about these spacers the more it confuses me. Some say they are unsafe, some mention added wear and stress on the bearings and axle, etc..

How much of this stuff online about the spacers is old wives tales and how much of it is proven over time by those who have them??

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Sooo... The more i read about these spacers the more it confuses me. Some say they are unsafe, some mention added wear and stress on the bearings and axle, etc..

How much of this stuff online about the spacers is old wives tales and how much of it is proven over time by those who have them??

These are the Spidertrax I bought and going on this weekend finally!
After much ado.;)

Here's a link:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39344

Also in these snap shots are pictures of the Detours Backbone.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep good ole' ****** Pennsylvania, where the Gas contains at least 10% ethanol, and we pay more than other people, for low quality gas, compared to Ohio. The place where Gangster Rendell resides...

Gas prices? You kids in Pennsylvania are gettin' off easy:

You must be registered for see images

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spacers do make it look great - and the added stability is definatly a plus on a lifted ride.

A good backspaced rim would be better. Mine are 4" BS

Yes, the same effect can be achieved by changing the rim backspacing. Those of us running Rubicon rims (Moabs) from the Wrangle can attest to that. The difference in backspacing pushes the tire out about 1" on each side.

Some things to consider any time you push the wheel further out (rim offset or spacer).

You have increased the load on the bearings (front an rear) as there is now additional leverage on them. Will they fail any sooner depends alot on how you use/abuse you jeep.

Front: the arc of the wheel when turning will now be greater, and could cause some rubbing - this will depend on tire width and size too.

Front: In the ideal world, the front tire pivots on the centerline of the tire when you turn in either direction. This is part of the mathmatics used in designing the front suspension. Any time you push the tire centerline out further, you move this pivot point innward. Sometimes it can be compensated for with a new alignment - sometime not. Going to a large diameter tire can also help move this point outward.

In the end, as with any modification it's up to you. What trade-offs are you willing to live with? Personally, I too enjoy the look the wider stance my rims have given the Jeep. It does also seem to feel more stable after the lift. I have slight rubbing - but live with it.

Latest posts

Members online