JK Crash Test Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That thing is strong. What do they have in there, lead block to keep engine in place instead of traveling inside? Crazy stuff..

Although it didn't feel like it had a lot of speed...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Supposedly, the engine is designed to drop to the ground in the event of a major collision. That's what I heard from the dealer.

Of course, 5 minutes later he told me that the Wrangler had an independent suspension.

So take it with a grain of salt. :p

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It had "enough" speed a few years ago a crash at that speed ;id say around 35mph to 40mph would have resulted in major injuries or death.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marlon, I heard the same thing from the dealer when I was buying my Jeep. he said this engine will drop to the ground instead of moving towards driver and passenger.. I don't think any engine will have enough time to drop to the ground. They just have to make the firewall thicker.

Hey, here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhH7jH9r3l0&NR=1

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Hyedipin, if that was the case, they could have made the 4.7L drop to the ground so it too could have been offered in the KJ. But why wasn't the 4.7L offered? Oh yeah, it would slam right through the firewall.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I, too, heard that the engine was designed to drop to the ground in a collision. Back when my Mom used to drive Volvos in the 70s and 80s, that was one of their major selling points, so I believe there must be something too it, or manufacturers would not keep harping on it as a safety selling point...:)