Jegs Daystar lift kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
search....its been discussed millions of times. most people here will tell you to spend $700 on a JBA kit.....but others are ok with this. just remember to do shocks all around at the same time.

if your KJ is not off road much at all this kit will be ok imo. if it is then.......go better.

im about to get this kit on my wifes KJ as soon as i can afford the bilsteins for the front.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally not worth installing a spacer lift on anything with over 35,000-40,000 miles. Springs are already starting to sag, so a spacer lift is only a band aid fix to lift it, many have used them but have finally went full spring in the end anyways.
As far as money a spacer lift cost about the same as or more than what two springs will cost, you have to buy new longer rear shocks and really should buy new front shocks so in reality you are only spending 160-170 more for two more springs over what a spacer kit cost!
Back in 05 when I first lifted mine it took me two months to save up and buy everything, but that lift lasted me 100,000 miles, so for the money well worth it.

Now just for S&G's lets compare
full OME kit springs and shocks from jeepinbyal.com is 750.
now spacer lift is 160. plus you add in new front shocks for 300, new rear shocks for 192 and you have 652 in a spacer lift. ( there are cheaper shocks for the front and rear out there though) So both ways either spacer or full spring you can save.
As a matter of fact I have 2 OME front springs ( brand new ) sitting in the garage right now waiting on a buyer for 100 plus shipping ( save 60 bucks right there

Also if buying I would only buy from people who have supported the KJ lift markets over time like www.boulderbars. com and www.jeepinbyal.com

If you want to know more about what works or don't come on out, I've done 20 KJ lifts to date and helped with more than that.

Oh and the if you are not going off road "a spacer will be OK for the street" is BS totally. Don't you want a better ride and great handling every day ?

Last edited:

05kj6spd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are trying to do a cheap lift and not spend a lot of money I would look for a spacer that goes on top of the strut assembly. That way you won't have to replace the front struts (unless they are wore out). The rear is pretty simple just spacers and longer shocks will get you the lift. I don't see a problem with only replacing the rears, in my experience struts usually out last shocks anyway. As far as spring sag goes...not sure what you do or what you carry but at 105000 I haven't noticed any on mine so I see no reason to replace the springs. You best to look at what you have and what condition it's in then if you need to replace stuff anyway then make a choice that would be suit your situation.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... I don't see a problem with only replacing the rears, in my experience struts usually out last shocks anyway...

Not to be picky but it does make a difference in this situation: The KJ's front suspension uses shocks, not struts. Yes, the spring is a coil-over and the shock looks like a strut, but it is in fact a shock absorber without the extras that a strut requires in a McPherson-style suspension.

The point is that if the rear shocks in a KJ are bad so are the fronts - and in fact may be worse due to the heavier load the fronts need to control. IMO, when considering the replacement of worn shocks and springs it's best to do all 4 corners to bring the stability and ride up to spec (and actually way better if using OME or similar.)

My 2 cents...

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are trying to do a cheap lift and not spend a lot of money I would look for a spacer that goes on top of the strut assembly. That way you won't have to replace the front struts (unless they are wore out). The rear is pretty simple just spacers and longer shocks will get you the lift. I don't see a problem with only replacing the rears, in my experience struts usually out last shocks anyway. As far as spring sag goes...not sure what you do or what you carry but at 105000 I haven't noticed any on mine so I see no reason to replace the springs. You best to look at what you have and what condition it's in then if you need to replace stuff anyway then make a choice that would be suit your situation.

The VERY WORST way to do a lift on a KJ is what you just suggested! The OTT type of lift kills front shocks faster than you can install them. Do some reading on experiences from others before you suggest something that will cost others lots of money in no time at all! I have a set of OTT spacers in the garage that someone tried to use, after 4 blown front shocks, 2 worn out UCAs in 25000 miles they gave up and sold everything to me INCLUDING a ARB front bumper for 200 bucks since they thought you could not lift a KJ :happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::shrug:
I bet you are at least an inch below what yours came from the factory at. I've lifted ones with 75,000 on them that had sagged over an inch already.

05kj6spd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how spacers kill the front struts (yes struts, coils mount on them, use strut plates that makes them struts even if they don't support the top of the knuckle). A spacer that mounts to the body and lowers the mounting point of the strut shouldn't wear it out. I think the wear usually comes from what people do with a lifted jeep. Also as far as sagged springs I know that there is usually sag over time, as well as settling of new springs. So if I get new springs to put it back up this inch I lost how long before they settle and I am back where I am now. I believe the engineers that make these things put a little more thought into and then having springs wear out at 25000 miles like I read on here all the time. And if the springs really sag that quickly then I would say they are junk springs to begin with.

Dirt Rich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful info guys. Looks like I'll be saving up my money. It's a daily driver, and there aren't many places around here that I'm aware of for off-roading, but I'd like the ability to do so, even if I never actually get the chance.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful info guys. Looks like I'll be saving up my money. It's a daily driver, and there aren't many places around here that I'm aware of for off-roading, but I'd like the ability to do so, even if I never actually get the chance.

Save up and do it the right way, ride on road will be 100 times better than stock and will handle like a dream compared to stock. trust me I have rode in enough before and after to know what they ride like. Like I said I know my first lift lasted 100,000 with only minor sagging and is actually on another Toledo area KJ now. Its money well spent

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure how spacers kill the front struts (yes struts, coils mount on them, use strut plates that makes them struts even if they don't support the top of the knuckle). A spacer that mounts to the body and lowers the mounting point of the strut shouldn't wear it out. I think the wear usually comes from what people do with a lifted jeep. Also as far as sagged springs I know that there is usually sag over time, as well as settling of new springs. So if I get new springs to put it back up this inch I lost how long before they settle and I am back where I am now. I believe the engineers that make these things put a little more thought into and then having springs wear out at 25000 miles like I read on here all the time. And if the springs really sag that quickly then I would say they are junk springs to begin with.

Sorry its front shocks
some have argued the spacer -vs- new coils issue before, they tried the cheap way and came back soon after to say " you guys were right, I've now switched to OME coils and its so much better"
And yes the springs are weak and sag pretty quick
Stock springs are only rated at 310 lb (along with Rustys and Skyjacker)
If you get STOCK OEM springs then they will last as long as the original ones,
Install OME springs and they'll last a lot longer than the stock ones
Unless you have done a lift with good aftermarket springs there is no way to tell what works and what dosen't

Last edited:

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME parts dont come along too often used.....I look weekly on both KJ forums.

I have the daystar's and am waiting on the shocks F/R for the wifes KJ.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Save your money and buy real suspension to lift your
Liberty.
Don't waste your cash on a spacer lift or one of those "Over
the top" lifts.
You will be glad you listened to all of us.

But at the end of the day it is your money!

Last edited:

Dirt Rich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save your money and buy real suspension to lift your
Liberty.
Don't wast your cash on a spacer lift or one of those "Over
the top" lifts.
You will be glad you listened to all of us.

But at the end of the day it is your money!

Exactly the reason I joined the forum, to save my money! No point in throwing it away, when I can simply ask a community of fellow KJ owners, who know what works and what doesn't. Would've been nice to be able to buy something this month though, seeing as I'm taking it to Hocking Hills at the end of the month on vacation. Should be able to find at least one fun place to "Jeep it up" out there. :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you're going down to Hocking Hills every where that is legal to go you can do unlifted, grew up down in that area and just moved up here a few years ago. Nice curvy unpaved backroads though to drive on!!
Like I said I have a pair of new OME 927 springs 100 for them and since you're local no shipping, that saves you 60-70 bucks plus shipping right there

Dirt Rich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going down to Hocking Hills every where that is legal to go you can do unlifted, grew up down in that area and just moved up here a few years ago. Nice curvy unpaved backroads though to drive on!!
Like I said I have a pair of new OME 927 springs 100 for them and since you're local no shipping, that saves you 60-70 bucks plus shipping right there

Sounds like a perfect way to break her in Tom. Got any recommended spots for me to check out? Also, I'm very interested in the springs, but it'll take me a minute to save for them. After paying cash for my KJ,and putting a down-payment and new tires on my wife's, I'm pretty tapped out for the moment.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my dad is at Hocking hills and Wayne Antional Forest right now with his ATV. I hope to join him sometime this summer in my XJ.

he lives in Marietta so a much shorter haul for him. LOL.

Tom...what amount lift the OME good for that you have?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I miss Marietta, lived there for 9 years, grew up 50 miles from there was down there this past weekend painting the home place.

The OME springs I have are the 927s, you'll get about 2 to 2.25 out of them, BUT add a 1/4 inch top plate and 3/8 inch clevis and you end up with about 22.50 or so in the front ( middle of wheel to bottom of flare)

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry its front shocks
Yep. Shocks are just a damper in a single direction vector motion. We have a coil-over shock assemble.
Struts are designed to hold a side/torsional load as part of the 4-bar linkage of the suspension. Our steering knuckle on the KJ is that link in the 4-bar setup.

some have argued the spacer -vs- new coils issue before, they tried the cheap way and came back soon after to say " you guys were right, I've now switched to OME coils and its so much better"
And yes, I was one of the many who tried the "less expensive" routes to begin with. Eventually got to the full spring replacement. But, since I went the "cheap" route first, ended up spending a lot more overall to do it right in the end.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a perfect way to break her in Tom. Got any recommended spots for me to check out? Also, I'm very interested in the springs, but it'll take me a minute to save for them. After paying cash for my KJ,and putting a down-payment and new tires on my wife's, I'm pretty tapped out for the moment.

have to eat at
Jimbo’s Bar and Diner
23356 SR 56
(somewhat southwest of the intersection of SR 664 and SR 56)
South Bloomingville, OH
More of a biker bar but GREAT food. I've spent way too much time in there over the years, we would always end up there after riding down in that area. The owner
,JimBo better known as Jimmy Clark in the Pro AMA Motorcycle Hillclimb arena, broke his back at a hill climb in Orgonia, Ohio October 1988 which ended his 17 year career as a pro motorcycle hill climber. The AMA, retired Jimmy. He had won several National, World and Canadian titles in his career.