Jeep won't stay running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently pulled the motor out of one 03 liberty and put it into another 03 liberty but now when I try to start it it will run for about 2 seconds before shutting down. There is one code showing up p1686 I believe this has to do with the SKIM. Any ideas on where to look or what to try to fix this? This is the 4th time I have put a motor in a liberty and have never had this issue before. Any help would be great thanks. Oh and it is a 3.7 motor

roydamnmercer

Reaction score
I know that's the exact symptom if you start it with a non-transponder key. Try a known good key or check the battery in the key. Just in case it's something that simple.

roy d...try the cheap fix first

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only have the one key for the vehicle and it's the black key which as far as I know isn't chipped.

As for swapping the PCM it is the same one I didn't switch anything.

The key symbol on the dash doesn't light up either if that helps.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it run before? What it's doing now is what it does when it started with a key cut for the lock but not paired to the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It ran with the other motor in it yes. I pulled that motor because it was knocking and now with the new motor it won't start. Could the PCM be fried? I thought maybe it had to do with me using a jump box to start it but this morning I pulled the battery from my DD Liberty and it still did the same thing. I've checked connections twice and can't see any that I may have missed and all pins look good.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What may have happened is the SKIM system erroneously thinks it should have a chipped key.

If is doesn't even have a SKIM at all and gives that code I would guess it's a bad PCM.

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I went to Walmart during my lunch today and had them see if my key had a chip just to make sure and they told me it definitely doesn't. Think I'm into getting a new PCM or having a shop hook into mine to see if it can be reset.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I you only swapped the engine and not the PCM then there should not be a SKIM issue as the existing key and PCM will remain matched. Normally if there is a SKIS issue the SKIS Red led...or "Key" icon on early models....flashes or stays on. If it flashes it means that the chipped key is not recognised and will let you start...it should run for about 20 seconds before cutting out! If the SKIS light stays ON then it means that the PCM did not get acknowlegment that the ASD Relay has energized....due to a blown fuse, Bad ASD Relay or bad wiring.

The SKIM module sits at the top of the steering column with a "loop" going around the ignition key slot to read the chipped key so you can have a look to see if that SKIM module exists.

Assuming the new engine you put in is OK, do you get fuel and a spark? Does fuel pump run?

Maybe your new engine has bad camshaft or crankshaft sensors, a fuse is blown somewhere, ASD and Fuel Pump Relay needs swapping out or a bad connection somewhere.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming all is well with the motor, the code he gets for SKIM in a non SKIM jeep would make me think the PCM has a problem. Unless something else can cause a similar failure. If it's not the PCM then, it's a hunt for a random fault somewhere.

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to take the steering column apart to see if it is there. I did switch the blower motor relay with the asd relay but there was no change. The motor ran great when I pulled it. It was in my daily driver for about a year when I pulled it because it had 200,000 which made me nervous with how much I drive so I took the motor out of the one I'm working on now and built that motor from the ground up with new everything and now switched the two.

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you still following this one I finally had the problem fixed. First I called the dealer and they told me that they could reset my PCM and reset the skin module portion in the PCM. So I take it to them to perform the task. Well I get a call the next day from one of the techs saying that they are unable to reset the skin module in the PCM. There only solution was to tell me I needed a whole new PCM from them and have it programmed to the jeep which was just over $1000. As you can imagine I was pissed that 1.) they assured me they could fix it before i trailered it there and 2.) they still charged me the full $140 for them to do absolutely nothing to fix the problem. So before I go to pick up the jeep I decide to call some companies online I was looking at before. Well 3 out of 3 of those companies told me that the dealer should be able to reset it easily. With this information I'm even more mad feeling like I just got ripped off by the dealership. I go to pick it up loaded with information from talking with those companies. I get the bill and before I pay I ask to talk to the tech that performed the task. Needless to say I raised hell and said a few choice words but in the end still had to cough up the $140 to get my keys back. Load it up take it home and send the PCM out to one of those companies. I just got it back yesterday and put it in and all is well runs great now and only for $125. I will definitely not be going back to this dealership and will still be trying to get some refund on what I paid. Sorry for the long story but just thought I should share my experience. Anyway the jeep is now running again and I will have it on the road soon.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you updated! This might help many others if they experience the same issue.
Definitely.

How long was the turnaround between sending the PCM in to be programmed and the time you got it back?

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took 4 days but the first time I got it back all they did was reflash it so it still didn't work but I called them and they told me to send it back and 4 more days later I got it again it all is well this time. They refunded all shipping to me as well for them forgetting to clear the skim the first time. Overall great customer seevice and very knowledge people on the phone.

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to carcomputerexchange.com. You can see all the services they offer and new computers as well. I would highly recommend them if somebody else needed a PCM reflashed. I must of talked to them on the phone for a good hour or so and they were helpful for me.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had two different Jeep dealers and a third outfit try and fail to program my PCM properly. If I can swing it to not have to drive it for a week I might give them a try. Thanks!

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you still following this one I finally had the problem fixed. First I called the dealer and they told me that they could reset my PCM and reset the skin module portion in the PCM. So I take it to them to perform the task. Well I get a call the next day from one of the techs saying that they are unable to reset the skin module in the PCM. There only solution was to tell me I needed a whole new PCM from them and have it programmed to the jeep which was just over $1000. As you can imagine I was pissed that 1.) they assured me they could fix it before i trailered it there and 2.) they still charged me the full $140 for them to do absolutely nothing to fix the problem. So before I go to pick up the jeep I decide to call some companies online I was looking at before. Well 3 out of 3 of those companies told me that the dealer should be able to reset it easily. With this information I'm even more mad feeling like I just got ripped off by the dealership. I go to pick it up loaded with information from talking with those companies. I get the bill and before I pay I ask to talk to the tech that performed the task. Needless to say I raised hell and said a few choice words but in the end still had to cough up the $140 to get my keys back. Load it up take it home and send the PCM out to one of those companies. I just got it back yesterday and put it in and all is well runs great now and only for $125. I will definitely not be going back to this dealership and will still be trying to get some refund on what I paid. Sorry for the long story but just thought I should share my experience. Anyway the jeep is now running again and I will have it on the road soon.

I'd go smoke some tires through the dealership lot.. even with a fine, it be cheaper than $1000 :emotions34:
Curious as to how much of that 1k they accredited to labor as the cost of a PCM and programming shouldn't touch that..
Guess that's why the call them stealerships..

But on a forreal note, good to hear you've got your problem fixed and a new engine in the old girl!
Also, that's for updating for similar issues others may run into in the future!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Curious as to how much of that 1k they accredited to labor as the cost of a PCM and programming shouldn't touch that...
I started in IT doing computer repair. Every once in a while a machine would come in with a problem that appeared to have no solution. My first boss would write up an estimate so high that the customer would leave without getting it fixed. It was his way of getting rid of them and not taking a loss on a problem we had no idea how to solve.

jeeper03, I think your dealer has admitted to their own cluelessness. It's not that it would be expensive to fix, they just had no idea whatsoever how to do it.

Latest posts

Members online