Jeep stalls after filling gas tank.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Pinchy

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and hope someone has advice for a problem I am having with a 2004 Liberty which I purchased new. In the last year the Jeep sometimes stalls about one minute after filling the gas tank. More often if the tank is lower. I try to refill at half a tank. After it sputters and stalls it starts right back up again then is fine. No other stalling issues. I have done a limited check of the EVAP system hoses and found no cracks in any hoses. The check engine light does not come on and there are no codes pulled by the reader. This leads me to believe that it is the valve on the gas tank that floods the engine briefly. From what I understand if it is the valve at the gas tank the whole tank needs to be replaced as the part is not sold seperately. If anyone has had a similar experience I would appreciate the input or were to go on this forum for more information. Thanks

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

Onebigwrenchy

Reaction score
Dit cha try Dry gas?
Could be water in the tank.. if no codes which stinks, it could bea tank pressure/ return pressure issue. Could be as simple as a gas cap but usually the brain senses that pressure issue and throws a code.
Hmm. Evap solenoid on fuel rail maybe? Returns unused fuel to tank. Off fuel rail.
Not sure if 3.7 has this system tho.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shot in the dark here, I remember reading newer vehicles (for me that's 2000 up) don't like to be overfilled because of.. and I've forgotten. I think it was something to do with how the tanks handle overflow, where as older tanks like in the cherokee just keep topping it off no problem.
So some kind of pressure relief system getting flooded? But only at full instead of over filled?