Jeep Liberty KK reliability - better information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because existing sources of auto reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so it's possible to provide reliability information on new models quickly--if enough owners sign up to participate.

Thanks to the help of this forum and its members, for which I am very grateful, we're already collecting data on a couple years of the KJ, and would like to include the KK as well.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2008 has been added to the survey, but remains right at the minimum sample size. Hopefully we'll start providing stats for it in August, but this ultimately depends on how many owners participate.

Help make this happen:

Vehicle reliability research

redrock08

Reaction score
survey

I just registered. Just letting you all know it's great to see your 2008 liberty’s getting lifted and outfitted with new hardware thats hitting the market.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enough people have signed up to get the 2008 into the survey, but not enough have responded to provide a result. If you have already signed up, please respond to the survey. If you haven't yet signed up, a few more participants would be very helpful.

Car reliability research

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully we'll have a result for the 2008 in November. A few additional participants would certainly help. The 2009 isn't yet in the survey--about halfway to the minimum.

Car reliability research

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have our first results for the 2008, based on owner experiences through september 30, 2009. With a reported repair rate of 87 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the 2008 Liberty is about average, but not far from "worse than average."

The sample size was very small, so this result isn't precise.

I'm very grateful to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and include all model years.

Jeep Liberty reliability comparisons

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have updated results for the Liberty to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. With a reported repair rate of 89 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the 2008 Liberty is worse than average.

The sample size was larger than last time, but still small, so this result isn't precise.

I'm once again very grateful to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and include all model years.

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my 08 KK for almost a year now. I only have 4100 miles on it so far. Mine has been in the shop 4 times for repairs.. I had a trans pan leaking, which I resealed. I had a lower radiator hose and front diff cover leaking badly. I replaced the hose and resealed the cover. The leaks were not caused by anything hitting the pan or cover. I installed all four factory skid plates the first day I had my KK. Just a poor job sealing things I guess.

I had to replace the throttle body and intake piping and update the PCM as part of a TSB, and when it was new, I had to reprogram the PCM and evac and recharge the A/C system due to poor A/C performance. This was part of a TSB as well.

After those repairs, my KK has been great. No problems at all for quite awhile now.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently enhanced the related repair history survey so that it can (optionally) be used as a personal car maintenance record.

As always, more participants would be helpful. Updated Car Reliability Survey results in May.

Car reliability research

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have updated results for the Liberty KK to include owner experiences through March 31, 2010. With a reported repair frequency of 62 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the 2008 Liberty is about average.

The sample size was larger than last time, but still small, so this result isn't precise.

A big thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and include all model years.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have updated results for the Liberty KK to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

With a reported repair frequency of 51 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the 2008 Liberty is about average.

The sample size remains small, so this result isn't precise.

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and include all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have updated results for the Liberty KK to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of next year.

With a reported repair frequency of 66 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the 2008 Liberty is about average.

The sample size is now only four short of the minimum for a full result.

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and include all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Jeep Liberty reliability ratings and comparisons