Jeep Liberty Coil Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the 02-07 kj springs all the same regardless of the motor? Or do the libby's with the diesel motors get stiffer oem springs front and rear? If the crd's got stiffer oem springs, would those oem springs fit an 04 limited with 3.7? I'm needing new springs but can't afford the ome route, so I thought I might see if the crd got heavier oem springs that'd fit my gas burner. Thanks for the info!

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02 springs are a bit taller iirc than the 03-07.

CRD got stiffer springs than the gassers.

Thats about all I can help with.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ's built before April 12th 2002 started out 3/4" higher then all others built after April 12th 2002,and no you can not buy those taller coils anymore even with the part #.

The coils spring rate varies depending on options as there is 12 different part #'s for OEM KJ coils.General rule is gas KJ's are about 300lbs rated front coils and the CRD's get 410lbs rated front coils.

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ's built before April 12th 2002 started out 3/4" higher then all others built after April 12th 2002,and no you can not buy those taller coils anymore even with the part #.

The coils spring rate varies depending on options as there is 12 different part #'s for OEM KJ coils.General rule is gas KJ's are about 300lbs rated front coils and the CRD's get 410lbs rated front coils.

So... Could I order OEM CRD Coils, pair for the front and pair for the back, and put them on an 04 Limited without any issues?

Also, are the CRD coils stiffer rated in the rear as well as the front, or just the front?

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM coils will cost more then buying OME HD coils.

Good point. Definitely something to consider. But just to scratch my curious itch, do OEM CRD coils (rear) have a stiffer spring rate than the rears in the gassers, and would they mount up just the same?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
They mount just the same no difference
rear spring rate is from what I can find the same between the two
best way to go is like mentioned and thats with OME springs and shocks

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to go the OME route, but finances do not, and will not allow for it for a long time. But, the springs need to be replaced, they squeak over most big bumps, espescially under cargo load. So, this puts me in a bind. I need new springs (and shocks) but I'd prefer not to go back with OEM spring rates, I'd like something stiffer, but I can't afford the OME route, not now, not in a year. That's why I was curious about the spring rates of the CRD springs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So you think you'll be saving money in the long run?
Maybe you will but not much
OEM springs will run you at least 200 for all 4
OME will run 360 so you save 160, not enough in the long run to even talk about IMO . Save up for another month or so and be done

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's the front springs that are creaking? I had a creak over bumps, especially in cold weather (below about 40F) and it was the sway bar. $4 for some grease sounds a lot better financially than $360 for new springs if yours are actually OK.

OME suspension is on my wish list though...

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I still had my stock springs from my 02 I would ship them to you for free. I threw them out about 6 mons ago or so.
I will keep my eyes out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on the sway bar bushings. Especially if it's just the front, and when the Jeep goes over bumps with both wheels at the same time. Spray them down with silicone spray before you do anything, because the stock shocks really SHOULD last a very, VERY long time without a peep...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on the sway bar bushings. Especially if it's just the front, and when the Jeep goes over bumps with both wheels at the same time. Spray them down with silicone spray before you do anything, because the stock shocks really SHOULD last a very, VERY long time without a peep...
In 8 years and 68,000 miles my front swaybar bushings never made a peep and never had any type of lube applied.Hot soapy water only every sunday kept them noise free.

OE shocks typically have a life span of 30k-50k,most aftermarket replacements like monroes/KYB also only have a life span of about 50k.Good aftermarket shocks like Bilsteins and OME generally have life spans of 100k-150k.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 8 years and 68,000 miles my front swaybar bushings never made a peep and never had any type of lube applied.Hot soapy water only every sunday kept them noise free.

OE shocks typically have a life span of 30k-50k,most aftermarket replacements like monroes/KYB also only have a life span of about 50k.Good aftermarket shocks like Bilsteins and OME generally have life spans of 100k-150k.

I believe mine are still stock at 76k miles. But who knows...I bought it used with 52k miles on it. She doesn't really sag either. In either case...I'm still gonna say at least CHECK the sway bar bushings first, because, although it's never been a problem with you tjkj, it HAS been with a TON of other people due to neglect. Mine were squeaking since I bought the Jeep.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure its not sagging any?
I have yet to see one come in here that was not sagged at least 3/4 to an inch at 75,000 miles
Of course we do use our Jeeps for things other than going to the Mall so your results maybe different :shrug::party52:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And that is the key phrase.

Washing your vehicle more then once in never and paying just as much,if not more attention to the undercarriage instead of the shiny painted surfaces goes a long way to prevent simple but annoying problems.

Which is why we all learn :D

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure its not sagging any?
I have yet to see one come in here that was not sagged at least 3/4 to an inch at 75,000 miles
Of course we do use our Jeeps for things other than going to the Mall so your results maybe different :shrug::party52:

I can take a measurement. I have done some rock crawling on it. What's a good height for it to be at hub to flare? I might be completely mistaken but it's nothing TOO obvious.

Members online

No members online now.