Jeep Liberty 02 serpentine belt *ALERT*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepster101

Reaction score
There are two serpentine belt sizes specified suitable for the 2002 model year 3.7L engine (86' 7/8 & 87" 7/8).

Be sure the correct size is fitted because they will both work! However, if the longer belt is fitted on certain engines that require the shorter version (with no data available to determine which ones in advance unfortunately) it will start to slip sooner rather than later. This leads to issues with battery charging, power steering function, AC operation, and water circulation (e.g. no heat at idle) that may not be detected as a belt issue until belt screeching (in cold weather particularly) is noticed. This happened to me within a year of belt replacement due to a mechanics lack of info, and attention to the wear indicator when installed.

How to know: The wear indicator on the belt tensioner should reset to zero when the new belt is fitted ... and if not, (if it indicates an inch of wear) the belt must be changed for the inch shorter version.

How to read wear indicator:
A diagram is attached to this post showing where to measure on the tensioner assembly.

Tip: For DIY ... buy both belt sizes, and return the one you don't need for credit.

Have just done this is a corrective (easy!) task, and my engine is now noise-free and accessories back to normal functioning. Saved myself agreeing to expensive quotes for new steering pump, and potential cooling system repairs that weren't necessary! :) (liblightk)

Attachments

• BeltWearIndicator.jpg
    BeltWearIndicator.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
Howzit dude, the longer belt 6PK2330 is not availible anymore, actualy no company is making these belt any-more. If you ask for that long belt at any auto store, or at the dealership, you will recieve a 6PK1930 (the shorter one)

The reason for the rerouting with the new belt, was due to belt slip, an noise.

Best is to buy the shorter one in gatorback.