Jeep KK 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepKK

Reaction score
OK ill get to the point. I am a college student who bought my Jeep KK brand new. I wanted 4wd but the dealership had none on the lot and they tried to give me a lame story that it would be a couple of months until they got on in stock.

Any who, I figured i would get a 2wd Liberty then convert to a 4wd. now i know i need a transfer case/front axle/front driveshaft. However, outside of that i do not know. I bought a used transfer case off a totaled 2008 Jeep KK and that is it so far. Now i know it is possible because i know a guy who had a KJ and made it four wheel drive I just need to know everything i need.

Also I know the factory Jeep Libertys come with HDC will I Be able to add that? Also my jeep is 2009, I wanna know all the problems I would encounter and Everything needed.

I am new on here so any help would be great and this is not my first jeep! I had Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
(welcome) What year GC? I had a 99 WJ 4x4!

Rear drive shaft, front driveshaft, diff, CV's, switch, electronics for the ESP...

Did the transfer case come with the electronic shifting motor?

JeepKK

Reaction score
I had a 99 also 4x4 Loved it. I am not sure if it does how do i tell.

Also to address why I want to change it over is because I love this particular jeep and I wanna say I did something big like this.

HoosierJeeper What do i add to me jeep. I know it has a rear driveshaft and i would need a complete front axle with a diff, and driveshaft and a electronic shifter. you said i would need electronics for the esp, don't exactly understand.

Also I know there is alot to such a build.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What color/engine? Mine was black with the 4.0....

Anyway, you need a rear drive shaft as well, as the one now is too long once you install the transfer case. As for ESP, that might be as simple as having the dealer re program it.

JeepKK

Reaction score
HoosierJeeper My GC was biege with 4.0L I6 and Quadra Drive.

OK on my liberty I have found a site to get used parts and Ill list what I Think i need.
I believe the ESP will need to be reprogrammed just like the computer.
All i need to find is a Switch for the inside the jeep right? What about HDC will I have to have that?

Front Drive Shaft:

http://info.automotix.net/usedautoparts/2008-jeep-liberty-front_drive_shaft-inventory.html

Front Axle Shaft:

http://info.automotix.net/usedautoparts/2008-jeep-liberty-axle_shaft-inventory.html

Rear Drive Shaft:

http://info.automotix.net/usedautoparts/2008-jeep-liberty-rear_drive_shaft-inventory.html

Transfer Cases:

http://info.automotix.net/usedautoparts/2008-jeep-liberty-transfer_case-inventory.html

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
CV's and diff also!

Someone more knowledge able than me...

JeepKK

Reaction score
Got a solution. I am gonna purchase a rollover wrecked Jeep Liberty that is 4x4 and just place all parts needed on mine.

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
TBH, you are better buying a new KK that is 4x4. Because the t-case is controlled by the BCM, you will need to have it reflashed, and I don't know if it is even possible to do at dealer level.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
What he could do is hang a 231 or 241 behind the transmission, and cut a hole for the shifter LIKE A MAN! Drop it off at Cincinnati Driveline and have them build the driveshafts after the front diff is installed.

You may or may not need new hub assemblies - some of the 4x2s ThunderbirdJunkie has seen do not have the necessary splined holes for the CV axles to go into.

Or you could be a total bore and trade it in on a 4wd KK :)

Welcome to the site, from about 45 minutes south of ya, JeepKK.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen this topic before and I'm thinking of doing the sae.....for the kj everything is there exect the 4wd components, and for the reflashing...I email jeep and they gave me a lame response, I'm sure that if you show up to the dealer with the vehicle READY for the reflash, they'll say allright lets do it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen this topic before and I'm thinking of doing the sae.....for the kj everything is there exect the 4wd components, and for the reflashing...I email jeep and they gave me a lame response, I'm sure that if you show up to the dealer with the vehicle READY for the reflash, they'll say allright lets do it.
It's not that easy,they may not even be able to do so since your VIN is not for a 4wd,by law they may not be able to also.

Want to spend all that time and money for a hacked up Jeep that can not be even used? Trade up for a 4wd,it's not the '70's or '80's where computers where not part of the systems like your KK.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not that easy,they may not even be able to do so since your VIN is not for a 4wd,by law they may not be able to also.

Want to spend all that time and money for a hacked up Jeep that can not be even used? Trade up for a 4wd,it's not the '70's or '80's where computers where not part of the systems like your KK.

LAWS can always be broken can't they?? ($$$$)

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not when federal laws are in question,the dealership will not break those.

so, people/employees don't break federal laws???

troy, you beter than anybody know that something like this is possible is just a matter of how much money and time he is willingto spend.....isn't?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, people/employees don't break federal laws???

troy, you beter than anybody know that something like this is possible is just a matter of how much money and time he is willingto spend.....isn't?
Yeah but in this day and age there going to tell you to f*ck off,they don't want the hassle if something goes wrong.If they will the price tag will be more then you want to pay,heck for 99% of you anything more then free is being ripped off in your minds.

So basically if they can not,do not,or don't care there not going to do it for any amount of $$$$,and unless you open your own dealership there is no way to get access to the programs you need.