Jeep KJ Power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTfromOz

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I’m looking for advice/info etc on a new whine noise coming from the front end of my 2005 Jeep Cherokee KJ (v6 auto, petrol).
It’s worst when turning and at slow speed.
I’ve changed the power steering fluid but no real difference in sounds… no leaks detected.
Help please, I’ve already done so much to restore my gorgeous beast, don’t want to miss anything that will stuff it up!
Cheers

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
Did you use ATF+4 transmission fluid as recommended in the owners manual ? Or actual power steering fluid?
Sometimes when air enters into the system through a fine pin hole (barely noticeable) in power steering lines, it can be a bit noisy.
What you can try is getting both front wheels off the ground, and then turn wheels back & forth to eliminate air.

Attachments

• FloTool MixMizer PS ATF+4 Install Jeep.jpg
    FloTool MixMizer PS ATF+4 Install Jeep.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 20

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you definitely need ATF+4 fluid in the 2005 KJ!

The 2002 KJs came from the Factory with Mopar Steering Fluid fitted...a slightly Honey Colored fluid.
They then brought out a TSB that these 2002 models need to have the fluid completely drained and then filled with red ATF+4 by the Dealers.

I would not trust my local Jeep Dealers to check the tire pressures without s.c.r.e.w.i.n.g it up so I am still driving my 2002 Export CRD with Mopar Steering Fluid!;)

JTfromOz

Reaction score
Thanks LibertyTC and BillWill! I foolishly listened to the auto shop person who was adamant I should use readily available power steering fluid… I’ve just got home from different supplier with the correct drainage tool (thanks for the pic!) and the closest thing to ATF+4 which was the Castro TransMax multi vehicle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 8

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Bill can you help as to where IN AU this member can obtain ATF+4 ??
JT Is there not any Mopar dealers near you?
Woh...Dexron III- it's way outdated & not even a full synthetic !! Dexron VI is the current GM fluid !
Do a google search from your browser, there surely must be ATF+4 somewhere IN AU.

Attachments

• flotool MixMizer.jpg
    flotool MixMizer.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 11

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Nulon.

Learned this years ago when my 20mm Phalanx blew the gun hydraulics and none in stock on the ship. Used a Nulon product to fill it up after repairs. Exceeded the MilSpec requirements. Was far cheaper than what we used at the time as I remember.

Also made for a fun Victoria Bitter fueled shopping excursion in Darwin…

Last edited:

Phil2020

Reaction score
@JTfromOz

Hi JT,
Got the same problem m8...

I had a PS hose changed out due to a small leak, before that was done the PS system was super quiet but now after the crappy mechanic replaced the hose, he didn't finish the job and clean out all the air out of the system.
Now I'm left with a noisy left to right turning on my PS.
Any suggestions guys???

Phil2020

Reaction score
Nope. isn't this a KJ forum?

WARNING!!!
STAY AWAY FROM "EDELMAN" HOSES FROM ROCK AUTO THEY ARE USELESS (because the fitting does NOT correctly tighten into the PS unit and WILL do more harm than good!!!)

Plus, you'll never get all the air out of your system using these hoses! In fact you'll damage your pump or worse have to buy a NEW rack! As these hoses are JUNK!

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes this is a KJ forum for sure, why mention an M8 ?
See post #2.

Phil2020

Reaction score

@LibertyTC

The reason for "M8", (Mate) is that the original poster is from OZ (Australia) I was born in Australia, so I thought that would be allright, as he'll know exactly what I mean.
Has "JeepKJ.com" gone all "WOKE" all of a sudden, (or is it just you), especially without just cause?

Members online

No members online now.