Jeep Compass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does everyone think? This to me is pulling in other markets to increase profit, which = newer 4x4 Jeeps in the future?!

* All-new Jeep Compass expands Jeep lineup -- modern design appeals to new, youthful Jeep(R) buyers in global compact SUV segment
* Value abounds with excellent fuel economy, cool innovations and long list of standard safety features (side-curtain air bags, ESP, Traction Control, ABS)
* Compact SUV segment expected to triple in volume by 2016 in United States

AUBURN HILLS, Mich., April 4 -- Chrysler Group today announced the U.S. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for its all-new 2007 Jeep® Compass is $15,985 (including $560 destination). A modern-styled Jeep that delivers fun, freedom, utility and Jeep 4x4 capability, the Compass provides excellent fuel economy, safety and interior flexibility -- all at a great value -- in the compact SUV segment.

The Jeep Compass will begin to arrive in U.S. dealerships and international volume markets in the third quarter of this year.

"With Compass, Jeep continues to expand globally by offering a fun-to- drive, fuel-efficient and affordably-priced Jeep vehicle designed to reach youthful customers who may not have previously considered the brand," said George Murphy, Senior Vice President - Global Marketing, Chrysler Group. "Compass is a new type of Jeep vehicle for non-traditional Jeep buyers. It allows the brand to compete in the fast-growing compact SUV segment, where there is increasing market demand for fuel economy, ride comfort and efficient packaging in an SUV."

Annual compact SUV volume in the United States for the 2005 calendar year was 368,000 units, up from 297,000 units in 2004. The compact SUV segment is expected to almost double to approximately 600,000 units by 2010 and almost triple to more than 814,000 units by 2016.

The newest Jeep will be available in both Compass and Compass Limited models. Both are available with front-wheel and four-wheel-drive capability.

"Jeep Compass will offer customers the confidence and assurance that comes with Jeep 4x4 capability," said Larry Lyons, Vice President - Front-wheel Drive Product Team. "Compass is a breakthrough all-new Jeep vehicle that provides the utility and functionality of an SUV with the performance, handling, fuel economy and price of a small car or small pickup."

Jeep Compass' available, active, full-time 4x4 system (Freedom Drive I) is recommended for daily use, including driving in snow and rain. The four-wheel- drive "Lock" mode is recommended for deep snow, deep sand and other low- traction surfaces.

Jeep Compass

Jeep Compass includes a standard 172-horsepower 2.4-liter World Engine coupled with a five-speed manual transaxle. The MSRP for Jeep Compass is $15,985 (including $560 destination), and $17,585 (including $560 destination) for Jeep Compass 4x4 models.

Other standard equipment items on Jeep Compass include:

* Side-curtain air bags, Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Traction Control and ABS
* 60/40 rear split seats
* Fold-flat vinyl load floor (UltraFloor(TM))
* AM/FM CD radio with an auxiliary audio input jack, cloth seats, 12-volt power outlet, manual windows, locks and foldaway mirrors
* Silver interior bezels and door arm-rests, tilt steering wheel, dome and cargo lights, floor mats and a center console sliding armrest that moves forward 3 inches to accommodate shorter drivers (the armrest lid features a unique flip pocket for storing a cell phone or an MP3 player)

Additional exterior standard features include fog lamps, body-color grille and fascias, body-color bodyside molding, black door handles, accent-color liftgate applique and 17-inch aluminum wheels and touring tires.

Optional features available on Jeep Compass include:

* A second generation Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT2)
* Sunroof
* AM/FM radio with six-disc CD player and MP3 CD play capability
* SIRIUS Satellite Radio
* Reclining rear seats, fold-flat passenger seat, passenger assist handles, illuminated entry, and manual height adjuster
* Air conditioning
* Power Group (which includes driver one-touch power windows, power locks, remote keyless entry and power mirrors)
* Deep-tinted glass
* Security Group (alarm, tonneau cover, daytime running lamps)
* Trailer tow prep package
* 17-inch all-terrain OWL tires
* Full-size spare tire
* Removable, rechargeable interior lamp, map lights
* Speed control
* YES Essentials® worry-free fabric
* Driver Convenience Group (which includes tire pressure monitor and electrochromic mirror, compass, temperature gauge, Universal Garage Door opener and Electronic Vehicle Information Center)
* Nine-speaker 458-watt Boston Acoustics premium sound system that features two flip-down speakers packaged in the liftgate

Jeep Compass "E" Package

A special package available on Jeep Compass adds a number of popular features as standard. The MSRP for Jeep Compass models equipped with the "E" Package is $18,585 and $20,185 for 4x4 models.

In addition to the standard features on the Jeep Compass model, the "E" package features the following items as standard:

* Power, fold-away mirrors, driver one-touch power windows, speed sensitive power locks, Remote Keyless Entry
* Air conditioning
* 115-volt auxiliary power outlet, map/dome reading lamps and interior removable/rechargeable lamp
* Reclining rear seats, driver seat height adjuster, front-passenger forward fold-flat seat, passenger assist handles, deep tint sunscreen glass

Jeep Compass Limited

The Jeep Compass Limited also is available in both front-wheel and four- wheel drive (Freedom Drive I) and features a standard 172-horsepower 2.4-liter World Engine coupled with a five-speed manual transaxle. The MSRP for the Jeep Compass Limited is $20,140 (including $560 destination). The MSRP for the Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 is $21,740 (including $560 destination).

In addition to the standard features on the Jeep Compass model equipped with the "E" package, the Limited model features:

* Leather trimmed bucket seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel, steering wheel mounted audio controls, speed control and heated seats
* 18-inch aluminum wheels and all-season performance tires
* Bright front and rear fascia overlays, bright side moldings
* Driver lumbar support

Beyond those offered on the Jeep Compass model, available options on the Jeep Compass Limited model include:

* A second generation Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT2) with Autostick
* 18-inch chrome clad wheels
* UConnect hands-free communication system

Jeep Brand

The Jeep brand's 65-year history of legendary capability has made it synonymous with freedom, adventure, mastery and authenticity. In 2006, the Jeep brand continues to deliver on its promise to provide versatile, innovative four-wheel-drive vehicles with the introduction of the all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler and the 2007 Jeep Compass.

"The Jeep brand is on a product offensive, and will continue to grow with new offerings that leverage Jeep's legendary 4x4 leadership," said John Plecha, Director - Jeep Marketing. "We're solidifying the Jeep brand's foundation with the bigger, more powerful all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler -- the most capable off-road vehicle in the world -- while also stretching the brand to reach new customers with Jeep Compass."

Sales of Jeep brand vehicles increased 12 percent in 2005 to their highest total since 2000 to 476,532 units compared with 2004 sales of 427,329 units. The positive sales momentum for the brand has continued this year. Through March, Jeep brand sales in 2006 are 10 percent more than the same period in 2005.

Belvidere (Ill.) Assembly Plant

Production of the all-new 2007 Jeep Compass will begin at the Belvidere (Ill.) Assembly Plant in May. Chrysler Group launched a second production shift at the Belvidere facility in March, which doubled the plant's production capacity. The addition of the second shift raised total employment at the facility from 1,650 to 2,650 employees.

2007 Jeep Compass Pricing

(All Prices Include $560 Destination)

4x2 4x4
Jeep Compass $15,985 $17,585
Jeep Compass "E" Package $18,585 $20,185
Jeep Compass Limited $20,140 $21,740

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think Jeep should be ashamed for putting their name on that. It's based on a Caliber and doesn't even offer 4Lo. It's more of a Subaru than a Jeep to me. I don't mean to sound like a snob, but this seems to degrade the Jeep heritage.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both of you are correct.

1) It is marketed to a different driver's needs or wants.

2) If they sell well then D/C will keep making the KJ and TJ.

But it makes me wonder since it is based on the Caliber, why D/C didn't market it under the Dodge name as It does seem like a Caliber clone. So they are watering down the jeep name more as some would argue that the Liberty with IFS is not a real jeep since the TJ is the only one left with SFA.

Don't get me wrong - I really like my KJ and it is pretty good off road and it tows 5000 lbs.

And don't forget the Patriot which will be out soon although I have not seen the spec's on that yet.

There are a lot more people out there that would never even think about going off road.................and actually that's a good thing as there's less congestion on the trails..............

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
DC did badge it under dodge......the calber....
it's just survival of the fittest.....******** fans hate it.. but if it keeps the jeep name out there...so be it....

it *****, but it's the sign of the times.....
seriously...how many out there really use an SUV (jeep or otherwise) what SUV's are really intended for....

seems to me now..it's mainly used for pimpin'..
putting dubs in...10,000 lcd screens..sound system that rocks the pinata...

the patriot will be based on the same platform..but will have a higher suspension (I think)..
think of subaru's legacy, and outback....

it's more of a business now than keeping heritage's or what not....
to us......who know what's behind the name and all....
it will always be what it is..but...im sure more than half of the populous of this planet...could really care less......

there is also more to offroading than just rock crawling.....
Im pretty sure u can rip around in a compass in old logging roads....WRC style....

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People were having this same conversation when the Libety was a Concept to be produced

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep needs diversity to compete with the other brands. Especially models that get decent gas mileage. If the Compass sells, the Jeep brand will stick around. If not... (dunno)

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Liberty is the farthest they should be allowed to extend the Jeep name. The Compass has no right being called a jeep.

However; If this is what it takes to keep Jeep around, I'll take my lashes.

Although, it isn't as if they are marketing it as anything offroad worthy or anythign even close to that. So whats to stop them from giving a ******** Jeeper something with the jeep name on it that could be used for applications in which only a car(I knwo they call it and suv but you knwo it isn't) will suffice.

I mean seriously, we will buy anything that says "Jeep" on it anyway.

I look at it the same way I do with my "Jeep" duffle bag.
-Its obviously not an offroad vehicle, but if I have to use a duffle bag for something I might as well use a Jeep duffle bag
(If you had trouble following that just re-read it until you understand)

Bottom line: It seems much more acceptable if you look at the Compass not as a jeep in itself, but merely as a piece of Jeep paraphernalia.

Woo Hoo Libby Lu

Reaction score
Thanks for the site pics, Miah, but where is the ENGLISH, LOL

I personally hate the looks of the Compass. Reminds me of a van so much, that I will refer to it from now on as the Jeep SUVan. (esuvan)

But if it keeps the KJ's and other Jeeps around then so be it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know what language that was but the pic of the girl was cute.....................oh yea there was also pics of a compass.

Dave

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO, Jeep should have left the Compass to Dodge. Why water down the brand? It's just bad marketing.

I don't think it's fair to say that people thought the same about the Liberty, when the Liberty is NO Compass! The Liberty is not that much different then the Cherokee or Grand Cherokee. The Liberty has the traditional Jeep four-wheel drive, and is nothing similar to an Escape or CRV. Big deal about IFS, as the current Grand Cherokee has it too.

P.S. The Compass is on the ugly side. If I wanted something like that, I'd go with the Dodge version myself.

EDITED!!!!!!!!! cryinghard.gif

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that I would go with the Dodge Caliber. First, the Compass is just ugly beyond all reason. Second, you won't get evil glances from everyone with a ******** Jeep (which will be the case the majority of the time). Frankly, I just don't know what to think about that vehicle. I mean, sure Jeep wasn't touching that market segment, but they don't have any large premium sedans, should they build one of those too? I thought that is the reason DC has three different marques in the U.S.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
IMHO, Jeep should have left the Compass to Dodge. Why water down the brand? It's just bad marketing.

I don't think it's fair to say that people thought the same about the Liberty, when the Liberty is NO Compass! The Liberty is not that much different then the Cherokee or Grand Cherokee. The Liberty has the traditional Jeep four-wheel drive, and is nothing similar to an Escape or CRD. Big deal about IFS, as the current Grand Cherokee has it too.

P.S. The Compass is on the ugly side. If I wanted something like that, I'd go with the Dodge version myself.

I take exception to that sir!!!!! 8-[

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Sure about that, my friend Grogie?

You do have a Wrangler, and used to be a Honda guy.

You might have it out for us Libby people!

LOL. \:D/ lol3.gif

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Sure about that, my friend Grogie?

You do have a Wrangler, and used to be a Honda guy.

You might have it out for us Libby people!

LOL. \:D/ lol3.gif

Oh man... I am not going to live this one down am I? drunk.gif sad2.gif smashfreakB.gif puke.gif confused2.gif chairshot.gif

I LOVE THE CRD! I almost bought one instead of TJ. I did not since I started to work at home (and mpg is not an issue!).

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
In all fairness to the Compass, it DOES seem like the better value if you're looking to get the 2.4L engine, which you cannot have without AWD in the Dodge Caliber.

However, if I had to choose between the 3, I'd go Patriot in a heartbeat with NO second thoughts. Trail Rated, Freedom Drive 2 Please.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Chrysler Group Launches Production of the All-new 2007 Jeep® Compass at Belvidere Assembly Plant

You must be registered for see images

Robotics, lean dies and material flow improve quality, productivity and worker ergonomics
2007 Jeep Compass appeals to new buyers with competitive pricing

Auburn Hills, Mich., May 30, 2006 -
The Chrysler Group today announced the manufacturing launch of the all-new Jeep Compass at its Belvidere (Ill.) Assembly Plant. The plant, which was extensively retooled in 2005, has become a flagship for Chrysler Group's adoption of flexible manufacturing.

Flexible manufacturing is allowing the Company to bring its new vehicles to market more quickly and the Belvidere Assembly Plant to manufacture multiple products on one assembly line. Production of the all-new 2007 Dodge Caliber began there in January 2006, while the 2007 Jeep Patriot is scheduled to begin later this fall.

"We are now starting to see the results of the new flexible manufacturing process that we believe is a competitive advantage for the Chrysler Group," said Frank Ewasyshyn, Executive Vice President - Manufacturing. "Thanks to Belvidere's ability to build multiple models off one assembly line, we expect the Jeep Compass production to cost significantly less than the initial investment we made in the plant to build the Dodge Caliber."

Robotics
At the core of the new manufacturing process is a body shop comprised of robots instead of the dedicated tooling that was previously used. Belvidere is Chrysler Group's first assembly plant to use a body shop comprised entirely of robotics. Only the robots' end affectors, or "hands," need to change in order to build the different models. That tool change is done automatically, within the time it takes to cycle from one vehicle to the next. In addition, the Belvidere plant is flexible enough to vary the production mix between three products anywhere from 0 to 100 percent of each model. A fourth model can also be piloted, or test-built at the same time, helping reduce the time needed to make new-model changeovers. The new body shop and other upgrades are part of a $419 million total Belvidere investment announced in 2005.

Many other changes are also taking place within the Chrysler Group manufacturing process to accommodate the multiple models. For example, new ways to make the required amount of stamping dies are saving the company up to 60 percent on the cost of those dies.

Material Flow
New methods of material handling are being implemented to manage the complexity of three models being built on one assembly line. The inbound parts sequencing center manages more than 1,800 different parts that are used in the Jeep Compass and Dodge Caliber build process. In addition to sequencing, this center provides parts metering, kitting and container management to the Belvidere Assembly Plant and delivers complete subassemblies just-in-time to the manufacturing floor.

A tunnel connects the 500,000 square-foot sequencing center to the Belvidere Assembly Plant. This facility, operated by TDS/US — one of Chrysler Group’s largest minority-owned suppliers — represents the highest level of integration within a Chrysler Group plant. TDS/US organizes parts, puts them in “kits” for individual work stations and delivers them to the end of a connecting tunnel for Belvidere employees to transport to the manufacturing floor. This process maintains in-plant stocks at optimal levels, minimizes delivery time and reduces costs an estimated 12 percent a year compared with the previous process. By carefully managing the material flow at the plant, the sequencing center helps workers focus on manufacturing quality and allows Belvidere to remain one of the most efficient manufacturing examples in the Chrysler Group family.

These pre-assembled modules reduce the number of components required to assemble the Jeep Compass
and Dodge Caliber, improving quality, productivity and worker ergonomics.

SMART
A new workplace organizational model, coined SMART manufacturing, is increasing the flexibility of the Belvidere workforce, while fostering greater creativity and innovation from plant employees. This model is being implemented throughout Chrysler Group's Manufacturing organization. In addition to extensive training, the new workplace model lets employees design their own work stations. These changes provide a better work environment for employees and give increased support to assembly line team members.

"Belvidere Assembly is running on all cylinders," said Kurt Kavajecz, Plant Manager – Belvidere Assembly Plant. "In the first half of 2006, we added a second shift and started production of the Jeep Compass and Dodge Caliber. In addition, we're getting ready to launch the Jeep Patriot in a few months and have recently announced the addition of a third shift, approximately 1,000 new jobs. Our new workplace organization model, in which employees work in small teams, has fostered greater creativity and innovation on the plant floor and made for a very smooth process."

Jeep Compass
The 2007 Jeep Compass is an all-new modern-styled compact Jeep vehicle that delivers fun, freedom, utility, excellent fuel efficiency and Jeep 4x4 capability — all at a terrific value. With a starting U.S. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $15,985, including a $560 destination charge, Jeep Compass combines the packaging and functionality of a sport-utility vehicle with the performance, handling, fuel economy and price of a compact car or small pickup truck. Jeep Compass is designed to appeal to new buyers who might not have previously considered a Jeep vehicle.

The Chrysler Group is the city of Belvidere's largest employer and has a significant impact on the community with 2,885 employees throughout Illinois who generate $188 million in annual wages (year-end 2005). The 3.7 million square-foot Belvidere Assembly Plant employs approximately 2,650 people. Union members are represented by United Auto Worker's Union Locals 1268 and 1761. The plant began production of the Plymouth Fury and Doge Monaco in 1965. The Chrysler Group will implement its flexible manufacturing process in its Sterling Heights (Mich.) and St. Louis South (Fenton, Mo.) Assembly Plants next.