Jeep cherokee renegade lightbar not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dopus

Reaction score
Jeep cherokee renegade (KJ) lightbar not working

It is called jeep CHEROKEE renegade here in Europe but it is an KJ

Hi all !

I am trying to fix a few things on my brothers 03 jeep cherekee Renegade.

The two broken wheel studs ( or are they called bolts) where an easy fix.

I am now trying to find out why the roof mounted original light bar does not work! I am new to working on jeep wiring...so if some one can help please take it slow on the technical jeep terms (realay names and fusebox namses etc.)

This is what I DO know about the problem.

1. The bulbs are ok.

2. There is no power getting to the power connector on the roof (the one coming throught the roof)

3. In the engine comparment there is a fusebox near the battery one of the fuses is supposed to be to the rooflights I think it is 20 or 30 amp fuse.
This fuse have 12v no matter if the switch for the rooflights is turned on or off.

4. When the roof light switch is turned on the the light for the roof lights in the instrument cluster turns on.

5. I read somwhere on this forum that fuse 9 (or on some models fuse 23) and 38 in the fusebox on the left side of the dashboard are a part of the the roof light wiring. Checked both 9 and 23 and both fuses are ok. Fuse 23 I dont have.

I am a little bit confused and dont know what to check next.

This is a europe vertion of the jeep cherokee renegade ( still a KJ) but the roof mounted light bar should be the same????

Last edited:

dopus

Reaction score
Did youre switch turn on the roof light symbol in the dash even when it was burned? Is there any way to test the switch (with the relay) or meassure it with a multimeter??? And do i need to have power on it to meassure if it works correct...as its not an on off switch????

dopus

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Ill try to find out what connectors on the wire cluster connected to the switch, that needs power to trigger the lightbar on and off. If that works then the switch is the problem.

dopus

Reaction score
tested everything else

I finally tested the light switch....or not the switch but the connector that plugs into the switch

You must be registered for see images attach

conncting pin 3 and pin 2 or 8 (2 and 8 have 12v)...and wait for it......let there be light....the roof light bar works...so no blown fuses its the f"#¤"¤#ing light swithc/relay. wonder what that switch/relay costs? Anyone know?

Did a search on the net.

it is widly avalable in us on different online stores prices from 35-55 $

So a Wild gess on the price at my local norwegian jeep dealer would be at least twice that price. Have to call them an check on monday.

Last edited:

tksautos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get a test light ( a probe that lights up if your getting power ) start with the simplest and probe your fuses to make sure they are getting power. Fuses can be bad and still look ok when you pull them out. If your fuse doesnt light up you know the problem is before the fusebox. If the fuse lights up, you know its after it (hopefully cause that will be an easier fix). Like the above posters said, check your switches and connectors as its unlikely a wire has frayed. Another test would be to power your light bar with a seperate battery just to make sure your resistors and other electrical components are good in your light bar. If all fails, it should be pretty easy to power the lights by installing an aftermarket switch and make it look pretty natural. Of course, thats if you dont mind straying away from factory.

dopus

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Most likley the relay behind the light switch is the problem...Im going to check what the switch/relay cost at my local jeep dealer on monday.

dopus

Reaction score
hehe yes i know they are cheap in the states. Have seen them as low as 35$ . But To send them to my country cost about 80$ and there is import tax on anything imported by a private person that has a value of more then 30 @. The import Tax is 25%. So it might actually be cheaper to get it from a local dealer. time will show. Ill call my local jeep dealer on monday.

Members online

No members online now.