Jeep bucking between 1st and 2nd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crdfan

Reaction score
Hi all. Please assist if you can. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD 2006. It tends to buck between 1st and 2nd when it's cold but runs fine when up to temperature. Please help. Thanks

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Its sounds like a worn valve body. Its a fairly common problem because the piston in the valve body wear against the aluminum body. The only solution is to replace the valve body. Another few cheaper options that might work is to have a transmission quick relearn done at a dealer or by someone with a good scanner, you could also try doing a transmission oil and filter change (NOT a flush). The last thing you could try is seeing if there is a TSB on the problem you are having and then you can go to the dealer or any shop that has access to the TSB and have them preform the TSB procedure.

crdfan

Reaction score
I'll give the cheaper options a try. The dealerships here are full of crap. Thanks for the reply

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Some CRD owners have found some extra oil helps shifting problems. Some of the dipsticks are too long which makes them pop-up in the tube and puts the marks into question.

Vaguely remembering obscure methods in the service manual for dealing with goofy shifting that doesn't require a gadget.

If you have any mechanical talent do the filter(s) change yourself. Some have had the internal spin-on filter spin off and there is a small seal that fits around the pick-up tube of the screen filter that needs to be lightly pressed into the valve body (old one removed first). That seal might not get installed right by a minimum wage quicky lube employee. Seems like it would pump more air than oil installed wrong.

Dealerships here seem to pride themselves on burning customers.

crdfan

Reaction score
Hi. I'll certainly give the oil and filters change a try. Here in Cape Town South Africa, if you pull into a garage with a Jeep they only see an open wallet. They don't care much to help with the problem. Thanks for the advice

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to preform the relearn your self you can reset the adaptive memory on your jeep by disconnecting the positive battery cable and then touching the positive battery cable to the negative battery terminal (meaning to leave the negative battery cable connected).

crdfan

Reaction score
Is that safe to do. Won't it damage something?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's safe to do, the reason why is because all you are doing is draining any residual charge in the system and by doing this you reset the jeeps adaptive memory. Another way to do it is to disconnect the battery, and let the jeep sit for at least a half hour.

crdfan

Reaction score
Thanks renegade. I shall certainly give that a try. Also, could you please show me by either pics or videos (if you have) where exactly my map sensor is. I've searched high and low and cannot find it. I have a 06 JGC 3.0 CRD. It's a RHD like all our cars here in SA

crdfan

Reaction score
Hi renegade. Only just got around to it now. I will check if it happens in the morning when the vehicle is cold. Will keep you posted

crdfan

Reaction score
Still does the leap frog. Gonna do the oil and filters this weekend

crdfan

Reaction score
Hold thumbs

steeler8643

Reaction score
Did the relearn trick work for you?

Hi renegade. Only just got around to it now. I will check if it happens in the morning when the vehicle is cold. Will keep you posted

I tried just a few minutes ago and then took it for a ride and it still Bucks!!!
If you have learned anything new please let me know!

Thanks,
Bob

steeler8643

Reaction score
If you want to preform the relearn your self you can reset the adaptive memory on your jeep by disconnecting the positive battery cable and then touching the positive battery cable to the negative battery terminal (meaning to leave the negative battery cable connected).

I saw somewhere online on another forum where they said the exact opposite....they said to remove the Negative cable and attach it to the Positive Post.

Bob

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't ever remove the negative and touch it to the positive, this could damage the jeep. The reason why touching the positive to the negative terminal is okay, is because you are just discharging the system of any residual charge.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately that draining procedure doesn't initiate a relearn. You need a special computer for that.

Latest posts

Members online