I've had it up to HERE with facebook!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jim McClain, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Full Access Member

Made the decision yesterday to delete my facebook account, as of this coming Monday night. I have a lot of friends who only use facebook and not every day at that, so I wanted to let them know what's happening with me and my photos (most of my posts are my photography and most of my followers are only interested in the pictures).

I spent a lot of time reading and replying to other people's posts. Most of my comments were about all the false information and misleading memes being posted. It's been enough to give me aches and pains from the tension. And I can't stand to just let that crap go - I gotta say something about it.

Quitting facebook will be good for me, I'm positive. I have a personal blog and another site I share my photography on, plus my work on other websites, including my own flooring related forum. It's not like I won't have something else to do.

I wrote an article about giving up facebook, if you're interested: 1footinthegrave.com/letting-go-of-facebook/

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  2. Dave

Dave Administrator Administrator Moderator

Yeah, I have been off faceplant book for years. I bookmarked your site. Thanks for the link. Good to hear from you, Jim. I was wondering where you were.

Dave

3. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Saw your post on Facebook last night Jim.
    Always read your thoughts and view your wonderful photos
    But I'll bookmark your site and stay in touch.
    Take care

4. sota

sota Full Access Member

book of faces is great if you need to wake up. you keep slapping yourself in the face from the stupidity. I've never had it, only had to sparsely suffer from seeing stuff on it, and will never go near it willingly.

5. Aceofspades

Aceofspades Full Access Member

Never joined But I’ve used the messenger but that’s about it. Don’t need it

6. okiestate_gal

okiestate_gal Full Access Member

Way to go, Jim! I did (almost) the same last fall, but stopped short of deleting my page. Wanted to, but didn't go that far. I just never log in. It amazed me how much more free time I had.

I actually read an article about this the other day - the authors talked to one of the founders of facebook. He says when they came up with FB, they actually designed it to consume as much of your time as possible and that now it's becoming a problem. And yes, as your article mentions, it can be an addiction!

Link to the article: https://www.tomorrowsworld.org/magazines/2018/march-april/tame-the-social-media-monster

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  7. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Full Access Member

I never had a facebook page to delete.

8. ltd02

ltd02 Well-Known Member KJ Supporting Member

Same. I'm actually quite antisocial... :gr_grin:

Social media is an amazing thing, It's given millions of people a voice. Unfortunately many of them are not worth hearing and many are just plain stupid...

9. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Full Access Member

Some people don't realize that forums are one of the earliest forms of social media, the offshoot of the original social media, USENET groups.

10. ltd02

ltd02 Well-Known Member KJ Supporting Member

I was a founding member of USELESSNET... :emotions34:

11. LibertyTC

LibertyTC Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I never joined facebook. It gave me a headache to read much of the crap.
    I took one look at it and asked myself are all these young people with drama ridden lives or what?
    I suppose may folks just have too much time in life, and nothing better else to do.
    Try working 10 hours a day 5 days a week !
    I got better things to do in life.

12. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Full Access Member

I still post on USENET.

Good ol' rec.sport.football.college!

13. profdlp

profdlp Grouchy Old Cuss

I was on Facebook (under an assumed name) for about three months one semester in college. I was in a group that had to do a presentation and the youngsters did not want to deal with icky-poo email, so they formed a group to make it "easy". This was a business class, mind you. When I pointed out that they would certainly have to deal with icky-poo email at their job in the real world after graduation they were all like "whatevs, man".

Not a single one of them graduated and I deleted my account as soon as the semester was over.

14. BillyG

BillyG Full Access Member

I have had to unfollow friends and family because of the [email protected]#$ they post on their pages. I have one friend that works for the DNC and unfollowed him during the election because of all the mud slinging. The only reason I keep my account is so I can easily stay in touch with my out of state friends as all they use if FB.

I try not to post anything as I have been dragged into arguments with keyboard warriors.