Is this a Trac Lok?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jcode68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finishing up changing the rear axle bearings and seals and will be buttoning up the rear diff tomorrow night. I bought friction additive to add to the gear oil, but looking at it now without the cover I'm not sure it needs it. I don't see any clutch packs, but maybe they are not visible. What do you think?
jcode68-albums-front-axle-picture5598-rear-differential.jpg

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Always best to have your build sheet. Will mention Trac-loc if it has one.
With A VIN# online you can get your build sheet here: https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing
Fact: If you add the friction modifier to an open diff it wont hurt anything.
With both wheels off the ground, an open diff, when you turn on wheel will have the other tire spin in opposite direction. Track Loc both tires spin is same direction.
Here is what my Trac loc looks like.
52077[/ATTACH]']
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• JeepMaintence4.jpg
    JeepMaintence4.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 11

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finishing up changing the rear axle bearings and seals and will be buttoning up the rear diff tomorrow night. I bought friction additive to add to the gear oil, but looking at it now without the cover I'm not sure it needs it. I don't see any clutch packs, but maybe they are not visible. What do you think?
jcode68-albums-front-axle-picture5598-rear-differential.jpg

Looks like an open differential to me.

Was Trac-Loc available on the 06? I thought they eliminated it and went with a braking-controlled traction system where it just applies brakes on the spinning wheel for that year?

Jcode68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't think it was a Traction Lok, but wanted to be sure since I have read about driveability issues if you do not add friction additive with a Traction Lok rear. Thanks for the replies.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I just did my rear differential gear oil last week. My Jeep has Command-Trac so I did not need the additive. The store had two kinds of gear oil in gallon jugs. One was a brand I'd never heard of and the other was Valvoline, a brand I trust. Trouble was, the Valvoline came with the additive pre-mixed and I wasn't sure if it was safe. I went with the off brand just out of caution but now I'm wondering if next time I should get the Valvoline anyway. Of course, I might just order a jug from someplace that is both a name brand and also LSD additive free.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
command trac does not mean no limited slip
that is just the transfer case
i have the command trac (NV231) with the 8.25 limited slip rear axle

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did my rear differential gear oil last week. My Jeep has Command-Trac so I did not need the additive. The store had two kinds of gear oil in gallon jugs. One was a brand I'd never heard of and the other was Valvoline, a brand I trust. Trouble was, the Valvoline came with the additive pre-mixed and I wasn't sure if it was safe. I went with the off brand just out of caution but now I'm wondering if next time I should get the Valvoline anyway. Of course, I might just order a jug from someplace that is both a name brand and also LSD additive free.

I ran that Valvoline with friction modifiers (compatible with LSD) over several fluid changes (>100k) in my Ranger with an open diff and had no ill effects. I doubt it will hurt, but those friction modifiers are relatively expensive so you're paying extra for something you don't need if you have an open diff. Only good old dino gear oil for my KJ. I supplement with the Mopar modifier since I do have the Trac-loc.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
command trac does not mean no limited slip
that is just the transfer case
i have the command trac (NV231) with the 8.25 limited slip rear axle
Oh. I thought there was a difference in the rear as well. :shrug:

Learn something new everyday. (Except last Monday - I was just as dumb come Tuesday morning as I was when I went to bed Sunday night.) :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Latest posts

Members online