Is this a change for 2005?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Data on the 2005 Jeep Liberty

Break Over Angle
---------------------

Renegade [DEG] 19.8
Sport [DEG] 21.2
Limited [DEG] 21.8

Departure Angle
--------------------

Renegade [DEG] 31.3
Sport [DEG] 31.2
Limited [DEG] 31.5

Approach Angle
-------------------

Renegade [DEG] 35.7
Sport [DEG] 34.6
Limited [DEG] 37.2

Ground Clearance
---------------------

Renegade 9.0"
Sport 9.2"
Limited 9.4"

This data is as listed at www.jeep.com
So is the Limited technically the most off-road capable of the KJ family now? It's best in all 4 categories! I used to think it went (from most capable to least) Renegade, Sport, Limited but now... ??? Is this a "changing of the guard" so to speak or has it always been this way?
I know that the less Clearance and Breakover of the Renegade is probably due to the side rails that come standard (and aren't standard on the Sport or Limited) but what's up with the Approach and Departure angles? Is anyone else as suprised by all this data as I was?

I know the driver's capabilities mean more than anything, but a more capable off-road machine can only help.

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 05 limited came with 17" rims and tires. That may account for some of the changes as it appears the standard on the other models is a 16" rim and tire.

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think DC/Jeep employs more marketrons (marketing people) than people actually who know something about off-roading. This is clear in the development of the newer jeeps. (looks like they did some sort of market research on how to appeal to the urban-bling-bling market) The sad thing is that the marketing actually works; most people don't looks at those numbers. I'm all for expanding Jeep's popularity to the urban market. I just wish they would pay more attention to their base, and I wish they wouldn't try to fool people with their marketing magic :-$

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doin a little further looking, I realized a few things, and it may account for the differences between the Renegade and other models

As mentioned by myself (above), the Renegade has side rails and this may account for it's lower clearance and breakover angles. I wonder if it's ONLY the side rails that cause this? If it is, it's no big deal, I'd probably want them too if I was doing serious off-roading so ANY model could suffer that reduction and it'd actually make it MORE off-road capable in my mind.
The Approach angle might be less because the front bumper on the Renegade looks different than the other models. The Renegade bumper looks to protrude further forward than the other models. Remember the Renegade has lights mounted on top of the bumper and to make it proportional they may have made the bumper protrude more, accounting for it's reduction in Approach angle.
The Departure angle might be reduced because I believe the Renegade has a rear tow hook that the other models don't have as standard equipment (remember we're comparing "standard equipment" only). Since the hook sits under the bumper, it might be the reason for the reduced Departure angle.
As for why the Limited model beats the Sport in each category, I can't explain that.

Couple all this info with the supposed lack of a CRD option for the Renegade and stock for stock, the Renegade looks like the worst choice of the three (on paper anyways). But remember... any Liberty is still miles ahead of a lot of other "off-road" vehicles out there and even though I might not choose a Renegade model (I like all my options in my plush Limited), if a free Renegade was ever handed to me, there's no way I'd turn it down! \:D/

Latest posts

Members online