Is there a preferred code reader?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I figure I’d better pick up a code reader, something I know nothing about.

Is there one yinze recommend? Be useful to talk to the Liberty and the wife’s Nissan to if such a thing exists.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone has a "best buy " one they use and love
One of the reasons I stay with 02-05s, you can do key turn trick and get the codes if you have any ;)

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought some ELM thing on amazon.com years ago, it uses bluetooth to communicate to your smart phone, it reads codes and other sensor data from my 2006 Liberty,

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Scangauge II. It can read engine codes but it also shows me real time mpg, coolant temp, transmission temp, and voltage as I drive. I have it mounted to the top of the steering column in front of the dashboard. Super useful, and it can be taken off and used to scan other vehicles as needed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
One of the reasons I stay with 02-05s, you can do key turn trick and get the codes if you have any ;)
Exactly why I ask…I literally have no idea what that means…on VWs is volts or isn’t… or the transaxle ground strap broke again… only software I have is to talk to Allen Bradley PLCs from thirty years ago!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I have a Scangauge II. It can read engine codes but it also shows me real time mpg, coolant temp, transmission temp, and voltage as I drive. I have it mounted to the top of the steering column in front of the dashboard. Super useful, and it can be taken off and used to scan other vehicles as needed.

Thanks!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Challenge accepted. Fairly certain this 07 is a frankenbug…err..Jeep…weird as even the vin rig has both ways. Don’t care though 500$…I’ll build it for the task!

also WTF is the key trick? Remote entry is shot on this bucket. Troubleshooting that now as got RF output but no response from junker. Suspect bad ground in FUBAR tailgate…but daylight fails and I’m hoping no on sees my welds before I grind and paint them….

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Just started following your other thread. As a fellow '07 owner, keep in mind that 2007 was the last year before they moved to the Jeep KK (2008-2012). They started funneling in new parts for some things here and there. Big stuff should be OK, but for some smaller things I would make sure the picture of what you are ordering matches what you actually have. I found this out rather inexpensively when I ordered a 2007 PCV valve and found out I need the 2008 one.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Just started following your other thread. As a fellow '07 owner, keep in mind that 2007 was the last year before they moved to the Jeep KK (2008-2012). They started funneling in new parts for some things here and there. Big stuff should be OK, but for some smaller things I would make sure the picture of what you are ordering matches what you actually have. I found this out rather inexpensively when I ordered a 2007 PCV valve and found out I need the 2008 one.
Yeah, I am slowly learning this too...ah the joys of a transistion year vehicle!

kmitch

Reaction score
I used the ODBLink MX Bluetooth and liked it, but it only works with Android and I now have an IPhone.

You can read real time data, on gauges or graph. Capture data, as well as read and clear codes.

Just received their latest version today which works with android, iPhone and Windows.

I’m trying to sell the old version. DM me if your interested.

Here is there website. https://www.obdlink.com/

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The scan gauge (post 4) is nice because it has the ability to read & erase codes & provides the additional hidden gauge pack info.
Mine is a similar made my Autel, I don't think they are available anymore.
It communicates well with other vehicles.

Attachments

• Autel Tp-100 shown.jpg
    Autel Tp-100 shown.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 1

kmitch

Reaction score
here's some pictures from the app.

Latest posts