Is fan speed '1' meant to spin the blower motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

harman5

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been brought up before, but I couldn't see anything specific to speed '1' so far. Only for the higher speeds

On my Jeep, fan speed 1 does nothing.

Perhaps my resistor card is on the way out...

harman5

Reaction score
The first position Is kinda useless. As long as 2-3-4 work, you are still good to go.
I'd have to listen real careful to mine to see if I can even hear it LOL.
If you want to upgrade to a better quality resistor, here is the link: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/blower-motor-resistor-upgrade-for-kj.65152/

Thanks, I think I'll leave it be for the time being then. Interesting there is no 0 setting for the fan, but there is 0 setting for the vent mode so I guess that does the job

Thanks for the link all the same though; will definitely keep in mind, especially at that price!

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use position 1 all the time. 2 blows too much air with AC on. Than the blower motor resister went out and I was blasting on high all the time so I quickly replaced that.
I bet your getting ready to need a blower motor resistor, so get it over with and buy it now. easy job and I bet fan works on #1 again :)

harman5

Reaction score
I use position 1 all the time. 2 blows too much air with AC on. Than the blower motor resister went out and I was blasting on high all the time so I quickly replaced that.
I bet your getting ready to need a blower motor resistor, so get it over with and buy it now. easy job and I bet fan works on #1 again :)

Well that kinda confirms my initial suspicions now :eek: Interesting...thanks :)

harman5

Reaction score
Isn't that what the off feature is? I would think that with a 0 setting would be redundant.
Yeah I had thought that too; the way Jeep has it makes sense; but I guess I'm just used to cars that have 0 as a fan setting but still allow you to set a upper/lower vent option and have 'ram air' effect at speed.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you say that. I made my speed 4 'zero' by taking the unit apart and putting tape over the contacts. I use speed 4 as that 'ram air' effect youre talking about. Works pretty good. For some reason it makes me happy not using power. Just gotta make sure to not put it on speed 4 when the A/C is on, which includes the defrost. I put tape over the defrost contacts also, so the A/C isnt running.

harman5

Reaction score
Funny you say that. I made my speed 4 'zero' by taking the unit apart and putting tape over the contacts. I use speed 4 as that 'ram air' effect youre talking about. Works pretty good. For some reason it makes me happy not using power. Just gotta make sure to not put it on speed 4 when the A/C is on, which includes the defrost. I put tape over the defrost contacts also, so the A/C isnt running.

Good idea. I guess having no real '4' is no big loss either as it's rather too much air through the vents

Hmm, I think given all this, I may just leave mine be for the time being for the 'ram air' effect (on the currently inoperable '1' setting) and just make sure the A/C isn't on. When the resistor finally gives up for the 2-3 settings, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the blower resister is only like $13 bucks (amazon) and I think you need 1 torx bit (can't recall which tool)

harman5

Reaction score
Thanks guys :) Yep I'd already located it, and it does seem like a very simple repair procedure indeed. Thanks for the info :cool:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing to mention is that you don't want to drop those screws.
I used a magnetic 8mm bit driver. Or you could not fully remove them, and take them the last few threads out by hand.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing to mention is that you don't want to drop those screws.
I used a magnetic 8mm bit driver. Or you could not fully remove them, and take them the last few threads out by hand.
Thanks. Mine gave out a few days ago, but I’ve had the tunes cranked too loud to realize the fan wasn’t running on ‘2’. No wonder I’ve been cold. Part ordered.