Is a CRD right for me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allegedly

Reaction score
Sup fellers. Stumbled across this here kj forum, and what a lovely place it is. I'd like to thank you for having me.

Now to the point. I just found out about the crd liberty's and I currently own a tdi jetta VW. Figured what the hell why not a liberty even found a couple nice ones near me for not a horrible price.

Now it would be a daily use rig nothing fancy tow a trailer with random stuffs on it. Haul the family around ya know that stuff.

But in my use of the search bar I found a few known issues
The belt driven timing. (Which imo is mehh) but my tdi is belt driven too so whatever.
The pcv "elephant" mod
And the torque converter issues.
Oh and the egr probs.
Which for vw tdis is quite similar.
I also found a few other issues but these are the top ones I found

My question is would I just be best off getting the gas one for fewer headaches long term or what?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I can't recommend it. There's no reliability, mileage *****, many mods required to keep it together, very expensive to own. I could go on and on and on...

They're kinda cool when they're working but you'd better love doing your own work and have lots of extra money and time to spend. More a hobby car than a daily driver.

Folks seem pretty happy with the v6.

Allegedly

Reaction score
I can't recommend it. There's no reliability, mileage *****, many mods required to keep it together, very expensive to own. I could go on and on and on...

They're kinda cool when they're working but you'd better love doing your own work and have lots of extra money and time to spend. More a hobby car than a daily driver.

Folks seem pretty happy with the v6.

Man that's unfortunate. Cause like you said they are super cool. I know I enjoy my little tdi car but I don't think I'd buy another one. Ya have to order all the parts offline for it. Yer not gonna just walk into a parts store and buy glow plugs or any engine parts at all.

So I entirely understand where your coming from. It's a lot of one off type specialty crap everytime ya turn around.
Cost me an arm and a leg to build the support setup I have for my car. Spare turbo parts and little selinoids and valves and stuff.

Yeah you prolly right on the gasser idea.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
If you do decide you need more diesel in your blood ID Parts and Sasquatch have stuff for the 2.8 CRD. It adds up fast.

LOSTJEEPS forum has the most info on the jeep 2.8 CRD.

I hang around here because these folks spend their money on the fun stuff and there isn't a constant dark cloud above.

Members online

No members online now.