Is a 3 ply sidewall really that important?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at new tires, and I see the General Grabber AT2 tires are almost half the price of the BFG KO's I was planning on getting. They look like good tires, lots of good reviews. But I see that they are a 2 ply sidewall tire while the KO's are 3.

Is a 3 ply sidewall that much better?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. They will ride a little stiffer on the road but a tougher sidewall is better off road. More puncture resistant. The BFG A/T's are heavier (more plies/rubber) Go and pick both (same size) up. They are an "LT" tire.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
two? My stock goodyears are 4.. A good offroad tire would have 6 or above which would ride alittle stiff..
Better check again,they will list the total plies,then the sidewall and tread seperatly.Your stock GoodYears are 4 ply tires,2 ply sidewall,2 ply tread.The better MT tires are 6-10 ply,3 ply sidewall and 3-7 ply tread.The 245/75 MT/R's are 3ply sidewall and 7 ply tread,a very tough offroad tire.To get the 6+ply sidewalls you need to go to bias ply tires,then you can get up to 12 ply sidewalls.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, if we get a good A/T tires with deep tread pattern, we should look for higher ply (stiffer sidewall) so it sways less on highway?

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that because I dont do alot of off roading (once or twice a year down old logging roads when I'm hunting and just snow in the winter) I wouldnt need a 3 ply sidewall and be able to save $80 or so.

But, if the 3 ply is alot better I can justify spending the money.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what you want the Generals will be fine, I owned a set of the original ATs and got 70,000 miles out of them on my Dodge D-50 4X4 and trail rode more than you seem to be doing. They worked very good on the trails also.

nfmisso

Reaction score
So, if we get a good A/T tires with deep tread pattern, we should look for higher ply (stiffer sidewall) so it sways less on highway?

No. For on-road use, you want the lower sidewall ply count. What works well off-road, often works poorly on road.

nfmisso

Reaction score
I was thinking that because I dont do alot of off roading (once or twice a year down old logging roads when I'm hunting and just snow in the winter) I wouldnt need a 3 ply sidewall and be able to save $80 or so.

But, if the 3 ply is alot better I can justify spending the money.

Unless you are going places with sharp rocks that may go through your side walls - save your money.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. For on-road use, you want the lower sidewall ply count. What works well off-road, often works poorly on road.
Totally wrong,a 3 ply side wall tire will handle better on road then a 2 ply tire.The 2 ply side wall tire will be more "cushy on road then the 3 ply.Also the 2 ply will be more likely to blow a sidewall then a 3 ply due to the sidewall deflection is more on a 2ply then a 3ply.There are many +'s for the 3 ply over the 2 ply execpt price and on road ride,that's all.

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are both excellent all terrains with good on road manners and good inclement weather traction. A little louder than highway tires but not bad at all. I used to swear by the BFG's but my next tires will be the General Grabber AT2 since they are much cheaper.

FourWheeler (or was it 4 Wheel Drive and Off Road-- can't keep them straight) magazine just give the Generals a really good review.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are both excellent all terrains with good on road manners and good inclement weather traction. A little louder than highway tires but not bad at all. I used to swear by the BFG's but my next tires will be the General Grabber AT2 since they are much cheaper.

FourWheeler (or was it 4 Wheel Drive and Off Road-- can't keep them straight) magazine just give the Generals a really good review.

X2!! I got a steal on my current setup (BFG's and Cragars) so I'll run them down. But when I go to purchase a new set all around I plan to buy the Generals.

Members online

No members online now.