Intermittent slow start and rough idle when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Windy

Reaction score
Hello folks...after some advice.

Just lately my 2005 2.8 CRD has been having an intermittent problem starting when cold, this is cold for the UK not cold like you guys in Canada etc!! We're talking <10 deg C.

What I'm seeing is longer than normal cranking before engine fires, but then it runs very rough, rattling and sounding as if timing is out. No revs when pushing throttle and lots of smoke. It seems to sort itself out after a few goes, or if I leave it running for a few minutes. No codes being thrown.

Someone has suggested dying starter motor drawing too much power, thus causing fuel pump/injectors to run bad, effecting the start process? Any ideas?

Cheers guys.

matpage

Reaction score
I'm having similar problems to you,2002 2.5 crd,150k,over the last couple of weeks it's taken longer to start on mornings,fine rest of the day,cracks up straight away.
This morning went to it and wouldn't start at all,not even a splutter,just turned over and over until starter went week,even flicked the glow plug light on and off 5 times first!
Surely it can't be glow plugs as even if 1 went down it would cough and run rough and can't see all 4 gone at once!checked all relays and fuses so just waiting for the battery to charge up and i'll try again.
Yours sounds like a weak glow plug as when it fires it's rough but as yours is the 2.8 it has a few more sensors than my 2.5 but I was under the impression yours will throw a code for a plug down so I can see your frustration!
Don't fancy changing the glow plugs as it's a bit of a pain!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Windy

Reaction score
I should add, have fitted new battery and at recent service glow plugs were checked and are all good, unless mechanic was lying.....but as said, no codes thrown, which I believe a dodgy plug would do?

Wozzi Humperdink

Reaction score
My 06 has done this every time it gets close to freezing since I bought it about 3 years ago. I just assumed it was normal.

My only suggestion is to leave the block heater plugged in overnight. It really helps with that first cold start.