Intermittent Misfire...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My jeep started doing this a couple weeks ago. I’d drive to work (30 miles) and it was fine. On my way home, it would start to misfire here and there. It gets progressively worse as I go. Plugs were changed in early January when it was warm. NGK’s were used. The codes that scan out are misfire cylinder 1, and something about the ignition circuit for cylinder 1. It seemed to start shortly after we hit the deep freeze and started getting high temps of -10F or less. Does this sound like a coil pack going bad, or something else?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Switch around the coil packs,
remove the battery cables, attach them together to clear , switch the coils and try it to see what happens

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Switch around the coil packs,
remove the battery cables, attach them together to clear , switch the coils and try it to see what happens
Thanks, will do on Friday when it’s warmer. How long should I hold the cables together for?

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t gooten around to swapping coils yet, but here are the codes I get:

You must be registered for see images attach

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cleared the computer and swapped coils. My 10 minute drive brought up no codes about misfires. We'll see what comes.

What brand coil is recommended for replacement? I'd bite the bullet and change all six.

Latest posts

Members online