Intermittent misfire . . . slow coolant loss

Discussion in 'KK General Discussion' started by donutman, Nov 4, 2019.

1. donutman

donutman New Member

I have a "never there when you need it" problem - "never there" because it never shows when my mechanic has the jeep - 2012 Liberty - usually idles at 550 or so, on warm engine when sitting for a while idle sometimes but not always climbs to ~800 and it idles rough . . . let it sit long enough the MIL light goes on . . . and a few days later the light goes off . . . always showing a misfire on cyl. 5. Over 5,000 miles I have added about a 1/2 gallon of coolant . . . no visible leaks beneath the car. No overheating.

2. John P.

John P. Member

Hi, how many miles are on your Liberty? I’d swap the coil on that cylinder with one that hasn’t shown a misfire and see if the misfire moves to that cylinder. Could be a wire since there’s only three coil packs, so carefully move the wire with it. I’d almost call that a serious coolant loss issue if you cannot find any leaks. Could be going inside the Jeep from the heater core, a start stop leak from the water pump starting to go bad, or a worse case a bad head/head gasket. Hopefully it’s just a bad wire causing the miss, and a leak you haven’t noticed for the coolant loss. I’d take a mirror and check the weep hole for the water pump and see if there’s any coolant residue around it.

3. donutman

donutman New Member

Yeah, bad head or gasket is what I fear - it's a reman engine w/6K on it - first reman had a bad head gasket, company replaced it under warranty after three months . . . other symptoms that i do not know whether they are related or not - sometimes gurgling sound at start up from driver's side