Intermediate shaft symptoms??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the symptoms of a bad intermediate shaft. I still have that oscillating, "humming-rubbing" noise from the KJ.

It's definitely rotational (changes with speed) and can be heard primarily at low speeds from inside the vehicle. I walked along side while my GF drove it on grass and could not even hear it much less track it down (she could hear it inside)
Goes away when turning right, which sounds to me like a wheel bearing, but they seem fine when I do the normal "lift and shake" check. Shop also said the bearings seemed fine. Brakes look fine, CVs and Driveshafts usually have more of a clicking sound (correct?)

Shops keep telling me it's tire noise. Yes, the tires are worn out, but the sound is the same whether I'm on pavement, gravel, grass, or sand. Is it possible for I'm just trying to get possible causes before I spend $600 on new tires.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Things I noticed when mine went bad:
1. Shimmy in steering wheel at very specific speeds
2. Clunk at low speeds when both wheels would drop
3. Sounded like an out of balance tire

What shops have you been to? Mine's going into Bollom's on Tuesday on 35 right before main in Ona. Pete Conway is great but he doesn't do much besides projects any more, he recommended Bollom's as Duane Bollom was one of his main guys back in the day. The guy I usually use is moving shops right now.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took it to Luke's initially. I've had really good luck with them in the past. Took it to John's Omni for a second opinion (Don't ask me why)
I might try to get it to my old shop (Courtesy Car Care) on the southside. They were my go-to when I worked down there and I've always had good results.

I'm not having any clunking. But there is a slight shimmy at 30-40 MPH. Maybe I'll just have to gamble on new tires, and hope there isn't anything else major going on.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How loose is it where the CV connects to the intermediate shaft? Some play is ok, mine would audibly clunk.

I took the WK to Courtesy once for an AC recharge and it was an interesting experience. The AC was making a weird noise and they told me "well the tech working on it is about deaf so he might not hear it". Can't say that was encouraging.

Should be getting the KJ back from Bolloms now (it's sitting outside there now, maybe you saw it) so I'll let you know how that goes. I'm getting new tires/rims but I have to take apart the old ones to get the sensors out but otherwise I'd loan them to you and see if that changes it.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my intermediate shaft was shot, I was able to pry the passenger-side CV up and down a good 1/4" at the diff housing. When the bearing is good, and the splines are aligned, there should be almost no play.

Latest posts

Members online