Intake Mainifold Droppings! Critter Alert!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
EEK!
54143[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Now what.... Mothballs under Jeep...Under Hood?
Hope he likes my compressed air clean up and LPS Orange pre-solve topping!
Maybe I should leave a poison snack under the hood, eviction time! :Bye:

Attachments

• Rat%20Turds.jpg
    Rat%20Turds.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 0

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happens to me all the time. Damn mice in my case! I've had some luck tying those real fragrant dryer sheets to a few places under there. Seems to keep them away for a bit but gotta keep replacing them every week. Alternative would be to buy a cat.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EEK!
54145[/ATTACH]"]

Now what.... Mothballs under Jeep...Under Hood?
Hope he likes my compressed air clean up and LPS Orange pre-solve topping!
Maybe I should leave a poison snack under the hood, eviction time! :Bye:

No Poison snack under the hood, you wouldn't want the little bastard dead where you can't reach him without ripping something or two out to get him especially after he starts to stink.

Attachments

• Rat%20Turds.jpg
    Rat%20Turds.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 0

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya they like to nest under my resonator box. I usually check it in the fall and spring.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Poison snack under the hood, you wouldn't want the little bastard dead where you can't reach him without ripping something or two out to get him especially after he starts to stink.

Mice are small when dead they only smell for a short period of time :gr_grin:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I think this may be a rat. I will try those dryer sheets and add some mothballs around.
In the meantime I left 10 pieces, of rat snack in a tray, duct taped right on top of manifold.
Will see if there is still 10 there in the AM.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah those droppings looked a bit big for a mouse. I had a mouse come out and say hello two weeks ago when I was changing the rear brakes on my daughters Subaru. Sat there on the exhaust and looked at me like it was supervising. I got a wife for that. (did I say that out loud?).

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mice are small when dead they only smell for a short period of time :gr_grin:

So thought GM when they issued the Recall on HHR's over Mice, Rats, Squirrels and other small rodents getting into the fresh air intake vents, getting caught and dying. At least we don't have to uhh deal with certain issues on Grand Cherokee's with mice nesting and dying in the cabin air filters. Ooh man was nasty, when he came in I knew immediately too.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this may be a rat. I will try those dryer sheets and add some mothballs around.
In the meantime I left 10 pieces, of rat snack in a tray, duct taped right on top of manifold.
Will see if there is still 10 there in the AM.

Okay for some reason, I really have to say this. It makes me wonder if somebody has officially ruined an engine from an animal getting into the intake manifold while the engine is running. ''Sir we found the reason why you blew your motor, it was a rat" ''Is that covered under warranty?"

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I remember on my Dad's caddy, left in garage all winter, finding a nest inside the air intake.
What a mess....
Could be possible to have it sucked in and have a chitty chitty bang cluck moment for sure.
The KJ's stock air box is good, I dont think they can get into our's though.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here it will be either packrats or chipmunks. Both LOVE the insulation used on automotive wiring.

Worst underhood odor for me personally was a cat living feral at the marina we used to keep our houseboat at. It lived a couple months one winter eating fish cleanings out of the dumpster at the marina. We spent most weekends on the boat, though we seldom left the slip. Nearly every time I'd take our little dog to the bank the cat would bail out of the dumpster and run off. Then one morning Wife and I decided to run into town for breakfast. Started the truck, backed up, and then when I started forward the whole truck shuddered/jumped like I'd run over something in the parking lot. Got out and looked, nothing. Couple days later truck began to smell like fish guts. Couple days later, even worse with dead mammal odor as well. When I found it it was the cat had, I suppose gotten in the space between fan and radiator for the heat. When we started it decided to bail out through the fan. There were cat parts all over the radiator/fan space. Never spewed, but I gagged multiple times before I had that mess taken apart and cleaned.:doublepuke::doublepuke:

Bob

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember on my Dad's caddy, left in garage all winter, finding a nest inside the air intake.
What a mess....
Could be possible to have it sucked in and have a chitty chitty bang cluck moment for sure.

That's why I'm a big ''fender knocker'' in the winter especially.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here it will be either packrats or chipmunks. Both LOVE the insulation used on automotive wiring.

Worst underhood odor for me personally was a cat living feral at the marina we used to keep our houseboat at. It lived a couple months one winter eating fish cleanings out of the dumpster at the marina. We spent most weekends on the boat, though we seldom left the slip. Nearly every time I'd take our little dog to the bank the cat would bail out of the dumpster and run off. Then one morning Wife and I decided to run into town for breakfast. Started the truck, backed up, and then when I started forward the whole truck shuddered/jumped like I'd run over something in the parking lot. Got out and looked, nothing. Couple days later truck began to smell like fish guts. Couple days later, even worse with dead mammal odor as well. When I found it it was the cat had, I suppose gotten in the space between fan and radiator for the heat. When we started it decided to bail out through the fan. There were cat parts all over the radiator/fan space. Never spewed, but I gagged multiple times before I had that mess taken apart and cleaned.:doublepuke::doublepuke:

Bob

A rather painful similar situation happened to my uncle in the winter time. A cat was hiding under the hood, and when he started the truck it got caught in the serp belt.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^Ya that happens a lot unfortunately. A quick honk on the horn, makes em escape!

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My other uncle though, worst tragedy anybody can have. He mowed over a whole nest of baby rabbits. Took him a month to go back out and mow. Now we all scout our yards before we mow to see if we have nests, if we do a bucket over the nest to mark the spot so we don't kill them.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a mess....

Yep I had a mouse make a nice nest inside my air filter box out of old newspaper.

I was trying to find a reason why my CRD had lost power and came across this...no chance of any bits of newspaper or mouse getting through the standard paper filter though.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did an insurance claim for mouse damage on my Ford Edge. They chewed up the entire foam engine cover and some of the hood insulation. Good news was no wire damage.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My other uncle though, worst tragedy anybody can have. He mowed over a whole nest of baby rabbits. Took him a month to go back out and mow. Now we all scout our yards before we mow to see if we have nests, if we do a bucket over the nest to mark the spot so we don't kill them.

Sounds like yall need to mow more often, before it gets knee-high! :gr_grin:

Bob

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My Jeep Can now be smelt a mile away! No Rat would even want to approach it!
Start on ground under jeep, a vinyl 5 foot long mat, covered in moth balls, mainly under engine bay.
Then smeared vinyl mat with Vicks Vapo Rub here & there.:icon_lol:
54149[/ATTACH]"]

Placed a dryer sheet also smeared with the Vapo rub on top of intake manifold..whew=eek:whip:
Also a note on drivers seat stating lift hood remove sheet!:gr_grin:
Left 4 dryer sheets inside of jeep to refresh the inside and to compensate for what it smells like outside the Jeep !!:happy175:
Pest controlled arrived today and placed concrete weighted & baited Mouse/rat boxes !:party52:

Attachments

• The%20Arsenal.jpg
    The%20Arsenal.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 0

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

Came real close to doing that myself a few years ago. Now I just seem to walk over hornets nests and usually with shorts on. :favorites68:

I just did an insurance claim for mouse damage on my Ford Edge. They chewed up the entire foam engine cover and some of the hood insulation. Good news was no wire damage.

This is what I'm afraid of. Mice tend to chew on all that stuff under there. I've had signs in all my vehicles but no damage that I can see. Spent a half hour blowin' turds off the top of my daughter's Subaru just to change a knock sensor a few weeks ago. Really surprised they hang around with the family of redtail hawks, several cats and a few really big rat snakes in my neighborhood. Even found a baby rat snake right next to my KJ one morning and gently relocated it to a nearby planting bed.