Installing a sunroof?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about putting a sunroof or moonroof into an 04 sport? Possible? impossible? just go to town with a sawzall?

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure if you go with a aftermarket sunroof its a quality one! I had a buddy get one installed and within a year started leaking...

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure if you go with a aftermarket sunroof its a quality one! I had a buddy get one installed and within a year started leaking...

The good quality ones leak after the second year.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Have the dealer do it, using Mopar parts. It'll be warrantied as well.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
X2 on dealer if you really want one.
I prefer Kj without a sunroof, as it provides stronger, quieter roof.
Then of course who wants a roof that is bound to leak, it rains here way to much~!!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck,even with OEM sunroof(if a dealer will even install one,doubt it).The sunroofs are outsourced,even OEM ones and those company's have a super high failure rate,there lucky to be around after 3-4 years at most.Good luck finding any parts.I know when I worked at the dealership after about 5 years we couldn't even get most parts for sunroofs since the company long went under.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just fyi. The roofs are different between a KJ with a factory sunroof, and one without. A KJ without a factory sunroof jas ribs that extend father forward than a KJ with a factory sunroof. The area around the factory sunroof is flat.

This is comparing our '03(no sunroof) and our '06(factory sunroof)

Oh yeah, interior headliners are different too.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if one was to take the entire roof off a totaled KJ and install it on an other instead of cutting through the existing roof?

Something like this:
http://www.colorado4wheel.com/images/libby/libertyrepair.html
Have you ever replaced a roof skin? You really can't save it and re-use,must buy new sheet metal and it's only about $250 for a new roof skin(un-painted) and about 12 hours labor to install it.

I opted to bedline my roof to hide the hail damage then replace it like the insurance company paid me to do.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm.. hadn't thought of that tj.
Even so , If I REALLY wanted a sun roof (which I do)I would rather spend some extra cash on a new roof skin with a factory cut out and get the job done the right way, than cut in my existing one.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online