Inquiring minds want to know! Skids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lizzys07Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right, I've researched this stuff for awhile, but am perplexed by a few things on installing the skid plates.

The front skid, I think it's known as the engine skid (though all the instructions say transfer case skid for all three), seems like a no-brainer. It comes with four regular bolts and none of those nut-zerts.

The transfer/and transmission case are throwing me off.

The transmission skid (the long welded two piece one) only comes with two big nut-zerts and two bolts.

The transfer case comes with four smaller nut-zerts and four bolts.

I'm sure I'm overlooking this...but bear with me please.

I understand the concept of those nut-zert things. Fit it in the hole, and it will mushroom out around the frame.

My problem is with the odd little bolt tool it comes with.

OK- it's the black bolt, with a black nut, and some (1) odd, gold colored looking nut-zert related object.

With that said, that black nut isn't even threaded...the only thing holding the nut on is that odd gold colored treaded gizmo.

Do we use that gold colored gizmo at all? And what's the point of holding a fitted wrench onto that nut while turning the bolt (while screwing in the actual nut-zerts) if it's not threaded and doesn't do any thing?

I realize, my feeble attempt at communicating is probably a little hard to read...so I've included a picture with a lousy depth of field! ](*,)

You must be registered for see images attach

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, let's see if we can sort this out:

The transmission skid (the long welded two piece one) only comes with two big nut-zerts and two bolts.
The transfer case comes with four smaller nut-zerts and four bolts.

I'm sure I'm overlooking this...but bear with me please.
This should be because the ****** skid will also use two of the bolts for the engine skid; you would mount the engine skid first, then undo the two rear bolts, insert the front of the ****** skid and re-install the two bolts (in other words, the skids overlap).

I understand the concept of those nut-zert things. Fit it in the hole, and it will mushroom out around the frame.

My problem is with the odd little bolt tool it comes with.

OK- it's the black bolt, with a black nut, and some (1) odd, gold colored looking nut-zert related object.

With that said, that black nut isn't even threaded...the only thing holding the nut on is that odd gold colored treaded gizmo.

Do we use that gold colored gizmo at all? And what's the point of holding a fitted wrench onto that nut while turning the bolt (while screwing in the actual nut-zerts) if it's not threaded and doesn't do any thing?
The tool is designed to install the nut-zerts. You thread a nut-zert onto the end of the bolt, then insert the whole assembly into one of the hex holes in the frame. Place a wrench on the 'unthreaded' portion and use another wrench/socket to turn the other bolt head. This causes the end of the nut-zert to draw up and flatten out on the inside of the frame, securing it in place. Kinda like a pop-rivet but you have to do more work. If you need anymore explanation let me know.

Lizzys07Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Corwyyn.

How about that gold nut-zert related looking thing already on the end of the installing tool? What's that for...do I stick the regular nut-zert over that gold peice, or take that thing off (it's threaded)

And just curious, but what's the point in holding the "non-threaded" nut in place if it's just going to turn freely anyways as it's not connected (or threaded) to the bolt?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lizzys07Liberty said:
How about that gold nut-zert related looking thing already on the end of the installing tool? What's that for...do I stick the regular nut-zert over that gold peice, or take that thing off (it's threaded)
If I remember correctly you take it off. I believe it is just on there to prevent the outer sleeve piece from coming off during shipping. I took the one off my tool and had no problems with installing them, plus I just looked at the instructions and they don't show it on there.

And just curious, but what's the point in holding the "non-threaded" nut in place if it's just going to turn freely anyways as it's not connected (or threaded) to the bolt?
The outer floating 'nut' allows the bolt to turn while you are compressing the nut-zert; if it was a solid piece, it would bottom out and strip the threads long before the nut-zert was compressed enough to hold in place. At the same time you need to hold it in place or the bolt won't turn properly. It looks kind of odd but once you get the first one in place it should all become clear.