Ignition Coil Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse. I've searched here and google for an answer and came up empty handed. Looking for opinions on spark plugs brings up a very clear answer and defined answers. The question is simple, I have a feeling the answer is as simple as the question - but here it is anyways. I'm about to replace the spark plugs on the 3.7 Liberty and am needing to order a coil or two as I have a 'cylinder 3 misfire' code. I'm hoping between the combo of the two it will clear up my CEL. My question is, is there a certain brand that is recommended over others, or potentially certain brands to avoid? I'm assuming the answer is OEM Mopar all the way, but thought I would ask since the Mopar are 2-3x the amount. Of course, I want to do the job right the first time. So if Mopar is the answer, Mopar we will go. I just wanted to ask, in case it doesn't matter on the brand (in which case I wouldn't mind saving some money). I do want to do things right, and I assume that means Mopar, but I want some opinions before ordering the parts.

Thanks so much everybody.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off adress your misfire. Swap a coil with your number 3 say with number 1. See if the misfire follows the coil. If not and it stays on number 3 bad plug. If it follows to number 1 it's the coil. Most will say stay with copper others say it doesn't matter. It's all up to you imo

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As rjkj2005 said move the coil pack to another cylinder to see if the code follows so you know that the pack is the issue. When I bought my KJ it had multiple cylinder misfires so I replaced all the plugs and coil packs. Went with Champion copper plugs which worked great and went with Standard Motor Products coil packs. Had one fail shortly after but was replaced under warranty and I never had an issue after a couple years of driving.

Members online

No members online now.