Ignition Actuator-Help jumping!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Avery

Reaction score
Ignition actuator is broken, the key won't turn as far as it used to. I maybe still have the run position, I just can't crank it with the key, but it was running fine like an hour ago. This car is my only mode of transportation so I can't just go get a new actuator. Anyway, I put the key into run, and shorted the pins on the starter relay and im getting it to crank, but no start. Fuel pump is coming on, so I'm thinking maybe I dont actually have the run position anymore either, just accessories? Any tips on getting this thing to start? I don't have a long enough t20 so I can't open up the steering cover, thinking of just breaking it and grabbing a screwdriver.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Cluster lights should come ON if you are in the Run/Start position.;)

Have you tried to start it in Neutral as well as Park as one of these Interlocks may not be working.

Have you checked all the fuses...in the box under the hood and the fuse panel inside the cabin.

You will need a Male Torx Driver to remove the plastic covers over the steering column.

The Ignition Switch is held in place with a Security Torx screw that requires a Male Torx driver with a hole down its center...maybe you can remove that with some pliers.:confused:

Once the Ignition Switch is removed you can turn it with a small flat screwdriver but key must be in ignition slot and Jeep must be in Park/Neutral.;)

Can you push start it....I know I can do that on my Manual 5 speed!o_O

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yeah this is pretty much what the OP is doing...shorting the relay out...but this only turns over the engine! If the ignition switch does not rotate enough to get to the start/run position ie. cluster lights come ON...then it will not fire!:(

If Cluster Lights do come ON then there is some other reason why it does not fire.

Weird that OP states that the fuel pump does run....that would seem to indicate that run/start is working!:confused:

Avery

Reaction score
Yeah this is pretty much what the OP is doing...shorting the relay out...but this only turns over the engine! If the ignition switch does not rotate enough to get to the start/run position ie. cluster lights come ON...then it will not fire!:(

If Cluster Lights do come ON then there is some other reason why it does not fire.

Weird that OP states that the fuel pump does run....that would seem to indicate that run/start is working!:confused:

So even though shorting the relay in the run position didn't start it, I was able to get a new actuator and install it and now it starts just fine, BUT now the power steering is gone? I must've knocked something loose I guess

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any ATF+4 in the Power steering reservoir?

Members online

No members online now.