IFS diff swap idea....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the moment I saw JBA's steel diff replacement, I did some hard looking at some F250 twin-traction-beam scrap I have in the yard. It gave me an idea.

What if I could recycle one of these chunks and build an ifs diff assembly like JBA does? The high pinion alone should correct the CV angles for 2-3" of lift.

The chunk I have is a Dana 50 (F250HD), but there is a D44 (F150/F250) and D35 (Ranger/Explorer) variant as well. The 44 & 50 are 30 spline, and the 35 is supposed to be 27-spline.

Any comments?

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looking,yes particularly if you drop housing 2-3 inches(bunch of mm). IF was going to use a D50,would put it in 44 housing,save some room.
JANA 54™ Or how to install 50 gears in your HP44 - Pirate4x4.Com

The 44 and 50 are supposed to basically the same housing - just an extra inch of pinion snout. Still - it does look large. A 35 might be more realistic to start with. I wonder if it's worth picking up some scrap Explorer parts and tinker a bit ;)

Latest posts

Members online