idk where this noise stems from

rubbing like brakes or bearing front dr.side.......brakes.are.new...2nd.hub.in6.months....

• idk what this means

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • or this

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rick3.7

Reaction score
i have a constant loud rubbing from somewhere in the front drivers side of my 04 kj. brakes are new. hub is new. typical things like brakes and bearings sound like theyre rotating with the wheel....this sounds entirely different...much slower rotation than the wheel. theres a new hub, new front drive shaft and new brakes. sounds like its under my feet somewhere. occasional loud ping type of clunking. twice the front wheels(1at a time) have locked up while turning....put new sliders in the calipers too....im clueless what this could be and i dont have a way to safely get the whole car off the ground and run it at speed to listen to it from underneath.
ive been thru this thing pretty good. hub brakes sensors radiator water pump window regulators recalls but now im stumped.....any ideas will be appreciated for sure

thanks in advance!!

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only time I have had a wheel bind up while turning was when a CV shaft failed completely on me.

Have you checked those?

Look for cracks or heavy wear on the boots.

If there is any way for you to see grease, then they are toast and need replaced. As soon as ANY water/grit from the road gets in there, they are on borrowed time.

rick3.7

Reaction score
only time I have had a wheel bind up while turning was when a CV shaft failed completely on me.

Have you checked those?

Look for cracks or heavy wear on the boots.

If there is any way for you to see grease, then they are toast and need replaced. As soon as ANY water/grit from the road gets in there, they are on borrowed time.
wow...these things are sealed up pretty good but dont even have a boot on the outer end.....and yes....inside the yoke end thru the hub/bearing theres def what looks like hoow a magna flux crack lioks so im betting its about to break

rick3.7

Reaction score
wow...these things are sealed up pretty good but dont even have a boot on the outer end.....and yes....inside the yoke end thru the hub/bearing theres def what looks like hoow a magna flux crack lioks so im betting its about to break
....ive looked at alot of dif pists on dif blogs and 1 guy was saying theres a bushing under the yoke in the front differential thats going bad but ive lookad at the exploded view and theres nothing like that there....and a yoke bushing isnt available from any parts store either......but that would explain why it sounds like its rotating alot slower than the wheel is

idk

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont have a boot on the outer end?

magnaflux crack? like a hairline crack in hub that holds the bearing? bearing itself?

Not sure on your yoke bushing. Dont really have a ton of experience there on KJ's to point you any which way.

But if you are missing a boot on one of your CV, and the hub next to it is cracking, I would think that would be first on your list to replace.

Breaking a hub/knuckle driving down the road would be pretty catastrophic, even at low speeds.

rick3.7

Reaction score
Dont have a boot on the outer end?

magnaflux crack? like a hairline crack in hub that holds the bearing? bearing itself?

Not sure on your yoke bushing. Dont really have a ton of experience there on KJ's to point you any which way.

But if you are missing a boot on one of your CV, and the hub next to it is cracking, I would think that would be first on your list to replace.

Breaking a hub/knuckle driving down the road would be pretty catastrophic, even at low speeds.
no...i just did the hub on the drivers side and front brakes. this is the 2nd hub in 6 months. so rite now at least my hubs ok but theres a crack on the cv joint where it slides into the wheel bearing. about halfway onto the splines. allmost a perfect circle around the shaft. i just gotta drive it easy till sunday....im gonna tackle the cv then. i drive 18 miles to work and last nite on my way home the rubbing was actually allmost un noticeable...allmost.
where i see the crack is within where its riding in the bearing so whemmn im turning i bet is when its under stress otherwise i think theres enuff meat on it to be ok. fingers crossed i can get another hundred easy goes it miles out of it......sunday i do the swap....the cv is actually cheaper than the hub was so thats not too bad.
the bushing was supposed to support the yoke on the front dif....idk about that tho, i just dont see 1. maybe hes refering to a pinion in there? i dont see anything on the liberteys on youtube but theres a cherokee that the guy takes the yoke out at least.

1 thing at a time. maybe when i do the cv i'll pull the front drive shaft back out. with any luck i wont even need the 4wd now till november sometime.

rick3.7

Reaction score
no...i just did the hub on the drivers side and front brakes. this is the 2nd hub in 6 months. so rite now at least my hubs ok but theres a crack on the cv joint where it slides into the wheel bearing. about halfway onto the splines. allmost a perfect circle around the shaft. i just gotta drive it easy till sunday....im gonna tackle the cv then. i drive 18 miles to work and last nite on my way home the rubbing was actually allmost un noticeable...allmost.
where i see the crack is within where its riding in the bearing so whemmn im turning i bet is when its under stress otherwise i think theres enuff meat on it to be ok. fingers crossed i can get another hundred easy goes it miles out of it......sunday i do the swap....the cv is actually cheaper than the hub was so thats not too bad.
the bushing was supposed to support the yoke on the front dif....idk about that tho, i just dont see 1. maybe hes refering to a pinion in there? i dont see anything on the liberteys on youtube but theres a cherokee that the guy takes the yoke out at least.

1 thing at a time. maybe when i do the cv i'll pull the front drive shaft back out. with any luck i wont even need the 4wd now till november sometime.
and no....theres just no boot on the outer end but the u joint still feels pretty solid...its the crack that gas me worried

Latest posts

Members online