I saw a CRD with NY plate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is that possible. I thought you couldn't get a CRD in NY or CA. What happened? Something has changed? Some loop hole!?

Or maybe it only applies to NYC and not NYS? Impossible. Saw one last week on I-678. It was noisy. :)

Any thoughts?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if you live in NY you just can't buy one from a NY dealer. I would imagine if you are living in another state and buy one there and then move to N Y and register it here they won't deny you the registration. Something like that I imagine.

I saw a CRD with Southern plates last year - Florida or Georgia or something - I don't remember. Florida and Georgia plates look similar and I couldn't get a real good look at it..It's the only one I've ever noticed in NY.

Dave

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can by a used CRD in NY just not new. My dealer has sold a few in the past couple years, We usually get them from auctions in CT and bring them back here.

Interesting "loophole" in the emissions law.

As far as diesels go, You can buy all the new diesel p/u trucks you want because they are considered commercial and there is a lot of them on the road here.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I guess if you can find it used, you could get it, but it needs to pass emissions when you first get it.
I wonder if they will make KK CRD.

DOC4444

Reaction score
CRD in NY

Massachusetts has the same emissions standards as NY and CA. New diesel passenger vehicles have not been sold here since 2004. (Light trucks are sold new with diesels.) However, you can register any diesel passenger (any year) vehicle in Mass as long as it has at least 7500 miles on it.

(We picked up a 2005 CRD Ltd in MO with 16K on it.)

DOC

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i've seen 2 crd's, one w/ jersey plates and one w/ illinoise plates. first i was like, oh, nice KJ, then, i heard the turbo, then i was i like
ooh, nice crd...

Sublo

Reaction score
Yep. This is true. I'm about to buy a CRD after confirming with NYS DMV. As long as it has 7500 miles, you can register it - no problem.

The reason new diesel "light trucks" are exempt is because of the GVWR. I believe once the number hits 8000lbs, they do not have to comply with passenger car diesel emission requirements.

(blarg)

Latest posts

Members online